can i hook a cell phone (3.5mm jack) to an 880/800PRS?

Participant count
  • Participant list

tcguy85
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
is there a way to hook a cell phone with a standard 3.5mm output to the Pioneer 880PRS? i'm going to get a new phone that can play internet radio and i think it would be nice to be able to play the internet radio through my stereo in the car.

does this head unit have an existing aux input that i don't know about or is there a way to hook up an aux input?

i'd really hate to have to fool around with FM transmitters and crap.

is there a way to hook a cell phone with a standard 3.5mm output to the Pioneer 880PRS? i'm going to get a new phone that can play internet radio and i think it would be nice to be able to play the internet radio through my stereo in the car.
does this head unit have an existing aux input that i don't know about or is there a way to hook up an aux input?

i'd really hate to have to fool around with FM transmitters and crap.

It should be a way, I know the 880PRS has a aux input but im not sure where its at, prob on the back somewhere. I have one, ill check it out tomorrow and let you know.

If it has the usually 3.5mm input to the HU you can get a cord from Radio Shack that will work. If not, and it has RCAs for input, Radio Shack also has a cord that has a 3.5mm male on one end, and a pair of RCA males on the other that will work also.

And welcome back, lol its been a min since you posted //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

^^you would be correct sir, but for some reason, I cant seem to get mine to auto tune itself //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

The front input iirc is only for the mic.
i just looked in the PDF manual online and it's saying the 2.5mm jack in the front can be used as "aux 1".

right from the manual:

About AUX1 and AUX2

There are two methods to connect auxiliary devices

to this unit.

AUX1 source:

When connecting auxiliary equipment using a

2.5 mm stereo plug cable

1 Press and hold EJECT to open the front

panel.

AUX1 input jack appears.

2 Insert the 2.5 mm stereo plug into the

AUX1 input jack on this unit.

This auxiliary device is automatically set to

AUX1.

so it looks like i can get a 2.5mm stereo to 3.5mm stereo cable and hook it up.

Shouldn't a cell phone have a 2.5mm and the HU have a 3.5?
Cell phone will probably only play mono (read: only one side), depending on model.
it's that new Droid smartphone from Verizon. it has a standard 3.5 for headphones.

the manual also said that i could use this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-Aux-Input-RCA-Cable-fits-iPOD-XM-MP3-IP-Bus_W0QQitemZ350279827240QQcategoryZ58350QQcmdZViewItem

hook that up in the back and then get a 3.5mm stereo to male rca cord.

i'm going to try the 2.5mm to 3.5mm in the front of the HU.

Yes, you can do it.

First you need a 3.5 to 2.5mm mini jack adaptor, (radioshack, it's 6 bucks)

then connect to the front panel.

Press and hold the right knob.

You'll go into standby menus

Scroll the menus until you see AUX 1.

then push in the right knob to enable AUX 1 input.

Then press the left knob as you normally do to go through the sources. ( tuner, cd, AUX 1)

Done

happy thanksgiving

Yes, you can do it.

First you need a 3.5 to 2.5mm mini jack adaptor, (radioshack, it's 6 bucks)

then connect to the front panel.

Press and hold the right knob.

You'll go into standby menus

Scroll the menus until you see AUX 1.

then push in the right knob to enable AUX 1 input.

Then press the left knob as you normally do to go through the sources. ( tuner, cd, AUX 1)

Done

happy thanksgiving
thanks. i actually just did this. i went in my car and turned on "aux 1". you hold the eject button for a couple seconds and it opens the face without ejecting a CD. then you go through the inputs and "aux 1" appears. i actually work at RadioShack so when i leave work tomorrow i'll grab a 2.5 to 3.5 cable. then i'm off to Verizon to get the phone. hopefully it works as easily as it seems it will.

happy thanksgiving to you too.

thanks. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

or you could get the cd-rb20, which plugs into the ip-bus and has standard rca inputs. then just get a 3.5mm to rca cable. That way you wont have to have the face open all the time.

or you could get the cd-rb20, which plugs into the ip-bus and has standard rca inputs. then just get a 3.5mm to rca cable. That way you wont have to have the face open all the time.
it being open won't bother me. i have the controls on my steering wheel so i have no need to mess with the actual head unit once it's plugged in.

if i was get the cable you are talking about, does it plug into the same spot as the ipod adapter i already have hooked up, or is it a seperate input altogether? i'd still like to keep the ipod thing hooked up to the rear as well.

ohhhhhhh, that second one would be perfect! it says it plugs into the CD changer port, so i could keep my ipod hookup as well.

awesome, thanks!

it being open won't bother me. i have the controls on my steering wheel so i have no need to mess with the actual head unit once it's plugged in.
if i was get the cable you are talking about, does it plug into the same spot as the ipod adapter i already have hooked up, or is it a seperate input altogether? i'd still like to keep the ipod thing hooked up to the rear as well.
if your already using your ip bus this would plug into your ipod module in the ip bus input as long as its the cd-ib100 or 100ii, if it doesnt have the external box im not sure how it would work.

ib-100%20ii.jpg

it would plug into the left (blue) plug on the above box.

if your already using your ip bus this would plug into your ipod module in the ip bus input as long as its the cd-ib100 or 100ii, if it doesnt have the external box im not sure how it would work.
ib-100%20ii.jpg

it would plug into the left (blue) plug on the above box.
i do have that box for the ipod hookup. so that would use it as "AUX 2"? pretty neat. go Pioneer!

i've been out of the car audio loop for a year or so now and already i feel like a noob.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.