Can I get just an amp or do I need a new H/U first?

heat23
10+ year member

I have Kenwood 215s 4x45W headunit that has 1 pair of Rear RCA connections. I just got some Infinity Kappas for the front and for the rear. I want to get a 4 channel amp thats 75W or 100W RMS. The question is, can I use a 4 channel amp since I only have 1 pair of RCA connections or do I need to get a new headunit with 2 sets of RCA. I'm on a tight budget so I prefer not to get a new headunit unless I really need to....Let me know what I should do

Thanks

Yeah, you shouldn't need another pair, plus you can use a Y-adaptor, and split the RCA's if needed. You should be fine.

True. You will lose fading, but you can adjust the gains for the rear speakers. Once you find the balance you want, you won't have to keep messin' with them.

In the past, I've been able to run 2 amps pushing front comps, rear midbass, and sub; all on just 1 set of rca cables.

Cool thanks.

Another question, my car (honda Accord) has 2 small speakers on top part of the dash (near the windsheld), do those speakers need to be disconnected when I get an amp? Whats the easiest way to do it?

no you wouldnt have to but you could if they sound like crap. if so all you have to cut the wires at your h/u. dont know the color code on either so someone would have to help you there. but if they sound good and you like them run em' if not ditch them.

I'm getting a 4-channel amp and are going to connect my front pair and rear pair of speakers to it. Then from the amp I'm going to have a RCA Y-adapter to hook up thsoe 4 channels to the 1 Pair of RCA in my headunit. The question is, on the Amp will I be able to take advantage of the Gain control, filtering, etc since I only have 1 pair of RCA? Will I be able to set the gain for the rear speakers greater than the front speakers?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.