Creative Box Ideas...

kjwiehoff
10+ year member

Batman's a scientist?!
I haven't posted a thread about audio in quite a while so i thought i'd throw this out there. What kind of ideas do you have for enclosures? Ones you've seen? Ones you've thought up? Ones you've built?

I have a pretty cool one about half done. It's a 18x13x14 ported box for a TS-W1240C pioneer sub covered in red felt and will have a box similar in size next to it with the superman symbol cut out, backed by plexiglass and lit with red neons also covered in the red felt all to match the car. the box and sub are doen and running but the other is in the works and will have pics when finished...

Although its nothing like some of the stuff people have been posting here, I'm finishing up my first box tonight. It was probably an example of biting off more than I can chew where first boxes are concerned. Its basically a 17w, 12"h, 14"d box where only the left and right sides are actually parallel to anything else. The front-face angles back at about 17 degrees, the top slopes down at about 15 degrees, and is only 9" long, with the back face being a convuluted S-curve... all done using hand-tools, as I didn't have access to a table saw. All 3/4" MDF, and it holds a down-firing 10" Diamond M6mkII sub. Box is padded on top, lightly padded on the sides and I'm almost done covering it in charcoal vinyl to match my truck.

Its certainly unusual for the typical square wood boxes I see people build. One of my friends this morning said it looked like something you might kneel on in a church or something. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Although its nothing like some of the stuff people have been posting here, I'm finishing up my first box tonight. It was probably an example of biting off more than I can chew where first boxes are concerned. Its basically a 17w, 12"h, 14"d box where only the left and right sides are actually parallel to anything else. The front-face angles back at about 17 degrees, the top slopes down at about 15 degrees, and is only 9" long, with the back face being a convuluted S-curve... all done using hand-tools, as I didn't have access to a table saw. All 3/4" MDF, and it holds a down-firing 10" Diamond M6mkII sub. Box is padded on top, lightly padded on the sides and I'm almost done covering it in charcoal vinyl to match my truck.
Its certainly unusual for the typical square wood boxes I see people build. One of my friends this morning said it looked like something you might kneel on in a church or something. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
WTF??? how does that work? better yet, how does it sound? do you have pics???

I'll take some pics and post once its done. I haven't heard it yet, but it should sound great. Sealed volume is sealed volume, for the most part. Its .625 cubic feet, and is stuffed with 1.5lbs of polyfill. The sub needs a .625 minimum, so that plus the polyfill should give it a nice tight sound.

Its shaped weird because of how it has to fit into my truck. I've got a quad cab Dodge Dakota, and the M6 is far too deep to possibly fit in a box behind one of the rear seats. This box sits on the transmission tunnel, immediately behind the front seats, and the S-curve on the back allows the rear seat bottoms to "slot" into it. With the seats down, it looks like a 17" wide center console in the back seat, which intrudes a bit into the legroom of the back seats, and means only two can sit back there instead of three. Its extremely stealth, but in plain sight.

Should be a real punch in the kidneys... it'll be driven by a Diamond D3 600.1 sub. Its a SQ-oriented install, though, so volume isn't so important. If I wanted SPL, I'd just throw my 10-year-old JL 15W6 in the back.

I'll take some pics and post once its done. I haven't heard it yet, but it should sound great. Sealed volume is sealed volume, for the most part. Its .625 cubic feet, and is stuffed with 1.5lbs of polyfill. The sub needs a .625 minimum, so that plus the polyfill should give it a nice tight sound.
Might want to rmove about half of that polyfill. Seems overstuffed.

Its shaped weird because of how it has to fit into my truck. I've got a quad cab Dodge Dakota, and the M6 is far too deep to possibly fit in a box behind one of the rear seats. This box sits on the transmission tunnel, immediately behind the front seats, and the S-curve on the back allows the rear seat bottoms to "slot" into it. With the seats down, it looks like a 17" wide center console in the back seat, which intrudes a bit into the legroom of the back seats, and means only two can sit back there instead of three. Its extremely stealth, but in plain sight.

Should be a real punch in the kidneys... it'll be driven by a Diamond D3 600.1 sub. Its a SQ-oriented install, though, so volume isn't so important. If I wanted SPL, I'd just throw my 10-year-old JL 15W6 in the back.
Sounds sweet, definately post some pics... interested in unloading that w6?

will do 1 with 1" GLASS, will use light blue neons to light it, not sure what sub yet, need a chrome one, what alternatives do i have other than audiobahn ?

and yes, it will be sealed

What is SoundSplinter?
a great subwoofer company..... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/handclap.gif.0c301076f534e244f0460706894f19e0.gif

click here and check out what they offer...

email mike@soundsplinter.com if u have any questions..or..

soundsplinters official online forum is here

soundsplinter has the best customer courtesy, hands down.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/toast.gif.bc0657bf54b9ee653b6438524461341e.gif

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif

a great subwoofer company..... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/handclap.gif.0c301076f534e244f0460706894f19e0.gif

click here and check out what they offer...

email mike@soundsplinter.com if u have any questions..or..

soundsplinters official online forum is here

soundsplinter has the best customer courtesy, hands down.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/toast.gif.bc0657bf54b9ee653b6438524461341e.gif

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/peace.gif.2db28b618ed8d1964ebbe2f5021d2c39.gif
x2 on all of that.. if you buy from them (or email mike), say you were referred by Kevin and Kent......... or you'll be sorry....

x2 on all of that.. if you buy from them (or email mike), say you were referred by Kevin and Kent......... or you'll be sorry....
You live in Houston dont you? If you have a 12" version Id like to test it against some other 12"s if your willing.

im laminating my box with black laminate (the plasticy stuff they use for countertops) ... my dad owns an interior deisgn store so thats how i have access to it cheap. They also make metal laminates, was gonna do that but its a lottttt more expensive.

one idea i had was to put hardwood flooring over the box (which i was gonna do originally, but was semi-worried about buzzing)

another cool idea i have is to cover the box in green felt, and glue poker chips onto it in some pattern or something, give it a poker theme, you know.

spraying my enclosure with line-x. something that i have been wanting to try but just don't have the time is to use one of my drum shells as and enclosure.

suede14.jpg

suede covered fiberglass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.