Can I get a modern take on amps?

mccar

CarAudio.com Newbie
Been out for a bit, back in my day McIntosth amps were the elites (seems they still are but have even more marketing than before) and there were many more brands than I recall (PPI, Orion, etc), but remember (maybe not correctly, I was young) that Rockford Fostgate was da bomb.

Seems like now that isn't the case but maybe I'm wrong. The price point and stats seem to say RF is still good, but I see very few builds with them. I'm talking Power line btw.

From a dumb amp (aka no DSP) standpoint, which amps are the perceived high SQ ones these days?

Last edited:
Gladden , Masconi, Zapco Z series, Audio Frog, Morel, Audio Control to name a couple.
JL seems to be still in there and some Alpines. Im sure there are more not mentioned. Others will chime in. SQ can get quite expensive if going all out

IMHO I’m not sure there’s any manufacturer that has all good quality.
Some on here are huge fans of brands I’m not familiar with. This is fine and I’d be willing to guess that the ones high end enthusiasts choose are not on the bottom of the product line. The rf r300 mono amp has a purpose but not screwed to my box.
Low end products are just that, entry level.
Again take rf, they have 3 lines and many variants of similar design using different materials. In amps to me it’s the quality of the internal components. I’d be surprised if anyone disagrees w this. At a point products become something known as designer brands. Jl, high end rf, pioneer, and apparently Brazil is making decent products. Likely it’s been reverse engineered and offered at a lower cost than the original. Fine. If it’s good? Cool.
Personally I read reviews on every site that sells products I chose, this enabled me to make a decision on my own.
Sometimes I feel that ppl want to be told what to do so they have someone to blame or a reason to claim victim hood.
TMI
Peruse brand names on this site then do the deep search on that word to see if there’s a decipherable description of why someone likes it other than “ITS DOPE”
Then check google to see where it’s available and read reviews.
The most overlooked component of an audio system is the budget.
It also appears that enthusiasts in this have endless $. It is nice to try stuff, realize what is preferred then build better next time. Component by component a person, such as myself, has bought double of everything except that 100’ roll of 12ga speaker wire lol.
Quality from front to back leads to longevity and decent or acceptable sq.

The most overlooked component of an audio system is the budget.
Thanks for the thoughtful post. I'm just jaded with "fake" reviews of free offers. I have neighbors that sign up for all this stuff to give fake reviews. I've never heard of these brands and I just have to trust their numbers is my challenge. I just want facts, measures, readings, metrics, etc, but those seem hard to come by. There should be a general consensus from a community, but I guess it is harder to come by due to the facts that you have mentioned. Either, buy top end "approved" products, or take the risk on "reverse engineered" at your own risk...

Folks on here do use w luck some of these brands thereby making them proven. No one likes getting fd. Bad choice of words.
No one likes feeling they’ve been taken advantage of.
If you’re looking for a $50k vehicle and find one for $15k what are the differences?
I certainly hope I haven’t skewed your desire to assemble a cool system.
I dropped coin on rf T subs and amps. It blows my hair back and I’m happy.
Sometimes ppl in reviews want to sell their perspective or ideas on their system choices. Take or make your own conclusions based on info available.
It’s just $ not life or death.

I don’t mean to lessen the value of $, shots hard and times are tough. This seems more like a hobby and has dedicated enthusiasts who will have our spent everyone.
Crutchfield and sonic electronics have easily navigable sites w info plagiarized directly from manufacturers websites so if the info isn’t there it isn’t anywhere.
Ppl do sell their reviews and this is terrible for the industry. Ppl also lie. F em.
Make a choice based on your decision and learn from credible sources.
I’m some fn guy detailing my atv rn, what do I know.

E73AB76F-FE82-40A1-8B83-3E047FB9C4B9.jpeg

It sounds like OP has been out of the game for a little bit and came here (a forum of CA specific hobbyists and enthusiasts) to ask what has changed in the SQ world. At least that's how I interpreted the post... Not that he's asking people to yell him what to think or how to spend his money... just trying to bypass sifting through hours upon hours of fake and biased reviews. I used to use these forum like 15 years or so ago, and people were always more than happy to tell you what to buy, and then get into arguments in your thread about what Chinese junk is better than the other Chinese junk, etc.
Also, OP, I was wondering this same exact thing. McIntosh was top tear bitd... now, I keep hearing audiofrog and masconi. A couple weeks ago I was reading about speakers that utilize TeXtreme. I know that doesn't have anything to do with amplifiers lol but still cool stuff about innovations in accurate sound reproduction 🤷

A couple weeks ago I was reading about speakers that utilize TeXtreme.
I would say there is less than 50 vehicles in the world that really "need" any sort of composite cone loudspeaker to serve its intended purpose (surviving 170dB or greater pressures).

Either, buy top end "approved" products, or take the risk on "reverse engineered" at your own risk...

Oppressive taxation and other regulations chased most of the electronics manufacturing out of this country around 25 years ago and overall the entire industry is largely driven by the race to zero where the vast majority of the marketplace just wants the biggest power rating for the lowest cost. This is what drives the market.

The basic design of these circuits is rather simple (not for the layman, but for electronics design overall). Sure we get some more robust transistors these days and the quality of OP amps and switching circuits has been gradually improving over the years, but nobody has really re-invented the wheel here.

I guess the point is, don't necessarily rule out some Chinese or Korean knockoff as "poorly made" or "bad" out of hand. Kicker, for example has been manufacturing their amps in China since the 90s (possibly earlier?) and have been consistently making good quality and reliable products that deliver as advertised for a very long time. They have their own factories, their own designs, and are willing to put in enough oversight and money to make sure they have a consistent product arriving to the market.

More recently we have had an explosion of what many people call "me too" brands where pretty much anybody with a couple hundred thousand dollars of capital or credit and a few thousand square feet of warehouse space can call up China or Korea and have their logo slapped on some reasonably well performing and reliable cookie cutter equipment and become a new """brand""". There is absolutely nothing wrong with those amps and I see 10+ year old Korean and Chinese amps every year at competitions and car shows.

Even among the snobophile brands there's not all that much R&D going on, most of them are made in the Far East, and several of these "high end" companies also share the same designs for their boards (particuarly the ones with built in DSP). Mind you, they're good designs that they're paying some good talent to engineer, but at the end of the day it's going to really come down to what you like the looks of, what has the features you want/need, and perhaps which company treats you right and you feel will offer you customer support down the road if anything happens.

Or in short. As long as you stay out of the junk drawer you'll probably be fine and even the junk drawer today has some very serviceable options that'll give you a decade of reliable service.

Richard Clarke still has his 10 grand.

Last edited:
Or in short. As long as you stay out of the junk drawer you'll probably be fine and even the junk drawer today has some very serviceable options that'll give you a decade of reliable service.

Richard Clarke still has his 10 grand.
Agreed. Amps may have some sonic differences, but once you apply the EQ, it's impossible to tell the difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...