Can a sub blow in 2 weeks if it was professionally installed?

Currently reading:
Can a sub blow in 2 weeks if it was professionally installed?

Wiktorrr

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jul 26, 2020
Montreal
Had a sub and amp installed by a shop 2 weeks ago. Today driving to work the subwoofer blew.. what should I do.

JRsmoothee

Think For Yourself, Question Authority - MJK
10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
sitting on toilet
turn the volume knob down next time

Popwarhomie

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
Professional is a very broad statement.

Reactions: Louisiana_CRX

Popwarhomie

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 22, 2010
FL
It’s a store that sells and installs car audio equipment.
Alot of stores hire complete morons. I remember years ago I needed 3 feet of OFC 1/0 wire to finish my build for SBN and the dude didn't even know what OFC vs CCA wire was.

Reactions: Coolhand20th

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Veteran
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
Been there done that before when I've asked for 8 gauge or 10 gauge...I get the ? "why you never need that size for subs or speaker you are fine with 14 or 16 gauge" Ummm no you moron I want 8 or 10 gauge because of the power going through there.

Reactions: Popwarhomie

jt4x4

CarAudio.com Well Known
Jul 22, 2019
ND
Sounds like you're living proof that it CAN happen.

What do you mean by "install"? They screwed it into a box? They wired it? They installed the amp and adjusted settings?

If they did the entire install and you haven't tweaked anything since the install, I personally would accept nothing less than a new sub. Having said that, I would bring it up to them and let them make things right before I start accusing them of anything.

Reactions: 1aespinoza

hispls

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 10, 2009
Central Maine
I'd say the onus is on the shop to either set everything retard proof or explain to the customer what is and is not safe.

JRsmoothee

10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
sitting on toilet
this was a replacement sub....same thing happened to his old sub......user error (he is over on diyma complaining also)

JRsmoothee

10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
sitting on toilet
Thanks for context. Full disclosure: you aren't the shop owner are you?
no......i would have told him to kick rocks the first time....i make sure when i do installs for tards i dial it way back for this exact reason...when they come back wanting better/louder subs i set gains normal and give em a smile....

Last edited:

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
Had a sub and amp installed by a shop 2 weeks ago. Today driving to work the subwoofer blew.. what should I do.
Like jt4x4 said, if they did everything take it back. There is zero reason your new equipment should be failing regardless of your listening habits. As a shop owner he should know the pros and cons of the equipment he sells. If you requested "louder" with the same equipment, a disclosure should've followed for your and his protection. If it looks like no free replacement, ask what can be done to prevent this from reoccuring. Play it by ear, you may get a discount on another sub. He already did right by you once so his willingness to help a customer is high.

Louisiana_CRX

dem shoes......
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Aug 22, 2006
Piney Hills of Louisiana
Contact your Lawyer ....

• Haha
Reactions: Bobbytwonames

1aespinoza

May 22, 2013
Pharr, Texas
Contact your Lawyer ....
After doing a full front suspension on a friend's truck, I told him to take it in for alignment. He called the day after, driver front had toed in and screeching his new tire. Told him take it back, they refused him claiming he drove it hard and whatnot. Advised he call his lawyer which told him to meet him at the tire shop. Not 5 minutes after arriving, truck was on the lift getting realigned. He also charged the shop $700 for attorney fees. Wtf!? I am in the wrong business, selling chicles is not as glamorous as I thought it'd be.

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
5,000+ posts
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
It’s a store that sells and installs car audio equipment.
A shop does not give credibility. Reviews from noobs that have no idea what car audio is gives no credibility. A shop with a quality install and tune by enthusiast standards is what gives credibility. First off you need to know what needs to be done and how it should be done, how it should be tuned. If you going in blind, its like throwing your wife in a group gangbang full of possible STD infected dudes posing as gynecologists

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Veteran
Mar 27, 2019
Wisconsin
this was a replacement sub....same thing happened to his old sub......user error (he is over on diyma complaining also)

And still going I might add,lol. 1st off what person buys Clarion for subwoofers these days. Not like its the '80s or '90s when they really had nice car audio products. I used to run nothing but Clarion Pro Audio decks because of the quality then when they got sold it all when to garbage.

Wiktorrr

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jul 26, 2020
Montreal
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Update: so when i got home i took my multimeter and checked the sub, both coils measure 4ohms as they should and when i push down on the cone its smooth, but the sub sounds like garbage when i play music. Could this be a problem with the amp?

Bobbytwonames

Conspiracy Theorist
Aug 28, 2018
Update: so when i got home i took my multimeter and checked the sub, both coils measure 4ohms as they should and when i push down on the cone its smooth, but the sub sounds like garbage when i play music. Could this be a problem with the amp?
What amp?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Latest classifieds