Can 8’s get loud?

Can 2 8’s get loud?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
I mean you can easily put kicker square 12's in 3 cubes and kicker 15's in 6 cubes because their cones basically make them 1 size larger than any other woofer that's also called a 12 or 15, for example

Yeah but kicker 8's have a bigger cone area than most 8's, they're probably more like between an 8 and a 10 in terms of cone area.
I compared a square kicker L7 8 to 2 8s, not a single 8. You’re right, they do have a larger cone area than a single 8, but not 2, and I’m not actually saying they aren’t decent subs, but they do need to be in a properly sized box, which happens to be twice as large as a lot of other 8s need. I’ve choked kicker subs into small boxes many times for customers who insisted on it, and the results were less than stellar. I actually like them better sealed than ported. 2 of their square subs in a sealed enclosure is about the same sized box as doing 1 of them ported, which is where their extra cone area can be an advantage. IMO.

I compared a square kicker L7 8 to 2 8s, not a single 8. You’re right, they do have a larger cone area than a single 8, but not 2, and I’m not actually saying they aren’t decent subs, but they do need to be in a properly sized box, which happens to be twice as large as a lot of other 8s need. I’ve choked kicker subs into small boxes many times for customers who insisted on it, and the results were less than stellar. I actually like them better sealed than ported. 2 of their square subs in a sealed enclosure is about the same sized box as doing 1 of them ported, which is where their extra cone area can be an advantage. IMO.

Have you been around long enough to see shards of a kicker L model cone stuck in a customer's headliner?

It just depends. Like there's some 8's that require larger boxes but will absolutely smash lower quality 8's. That's one thing I really like about DC is their smaller subs, say 12" and under, perform so well in in relatively small boxes. Like one of their 12's in a 1.5-1.75 net box is killer man. Even their 15's are. Like my buddy's box I built for a single level 3. 3.5 cubes isn't the smallest airspace but it's on the smaller end of box sizes for 15's. And I don't feel like I loose anything compared to say putting a Fi or DD in a 4.5 cube box.

With the 8's, there's some 8's that just on another level compared to what people typically think an 8" is. Like Sundown, for example, or DD's 1508's. Idc what size box they need, they're awesome.

I’d take the little Dayton ultimax 8 I have now over the kickers, and it’s only 300 watts. When you’re running 8s, you’re likely dealing with space issues to begin with, or I’d start suggesting larger subs anyway.

I ran DD and sundown, and can agree that they smash kicker all day. They also don’t require 1.25 cubes to do it. That was my point to begin with.

Yeah I'm following you, no disagreement. I'm saying it's tough with 8's to find that balance. I am saying that if the higher quality subs take more space to work, then so be it. But that'll be up to whoever's system it is.

I want to do a series 6th order with like 64 8's or something. Anybody wanna buy 64 8's and let me design it?

Yeah I'm following you, no disagreement. I'm saying it's tough with 8's to find that balance. I am saying that if the higher quality subs take more space to work, the so be it. But that'll be up to whoever's system it is.

I want to do a series 6th order with like 64 8's or something. Anybody wanna buy 64 8's and let me design it?
Getting a pallet of subs delivered for a single install would be a good story to tell.

Getting a pallet of subs delivered for a single install would be a good story to tell.

Be like "yeah, I'm going to put all of these in a geo metro."

That's like the dude, I forget his name, it was beautiful build IMO, who did the 48 sa-12's in that ford dually. 8's have come a long way in the past dozen years or so, since I started.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...