Can 8’s get loud?

Can 2 8’s get loud?

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've never heard an earthquake but I don't think two 8s would compare. If you want people from blocks away to hear you I would suggest a ice cream truck power horn outside.

I have had 2 sa-8s in my F150 and they are still one of my favorite subwoofers to this day.

I've never heard an earthquake but I don't think two 8s would compare. If you want people from blocks away to hear you I would suggest a ice cream truck power horn outside.

I have had 2 sa-8s in my F150 and they are still one of my favorite subwoofers to this day.
never said anything about blocks away i jus said can u hear 8’s coming down the block, not beating up the block, not blocks away, jus coming up the block yk, im talking 3-10 houses down 😂

Sound intensity is about air displacement (working surface area of the cone and x-mech), resonance (the box/your vehicle), and air pressure (the ability of your subwoofer to compress and your box design). An 8" sub has lower displacement if it has the same throw as a 15", but in my opinion you're better off sizing a large low-tuned ported enclosure if you want volume and then finding subs that provide as large as possible surface area and x-mech that fits those dimensions at the RMS wattage levels your car can provide (and sticking to brands that won't rip you off). Sometimes the largest you can fit is 4x8"s, sometimes you can go bigger. A word of caution though and the point I'm trying to make about subwoofer size, is that while kicker makes square subwoofers which provide very good working surface area in a shape that's great for fitting as many as possible in a vehicle, they're considered entry level subwoofers because they barely meet their ratings and use so-so materials. There's a lot more to it than that and most of the difference is in the general quality of the subwoofer materials and even more importantly, the enclosure/car you shove it in.

145 db with a 8x $13 200w 8's t-llne on 1500w

Attachments

• jl junkie 8 blaupunkt 200w 8's t-line 2014 dodge ram full 4 door internals2.png
    jl junkie 8 blaupunkt 200w 8's t-line 2014 dodge ram full 4 door internals2.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 59
Efficiency in a given enclosure is what I always look at when choosing smaller subwoofers. It does no good to get an 8 inch subwoofer that requires 1 cubic ft, per sub ported, when a more efficient 8 can be optimally put into .5 cubic ft. Some 10s perform optimally in a smaller enclosure than some 8s do. Lasherz touched on kicker square subs, which I’m not against using, but the kicker L7 8 needed around 1.25 cubes ported in my experience with them, and you could actually fit 2 8 inch subs in that same box with some other 8s, or even a 10 inch. Im not going to go into xmax, xmech, resonance, etc., or we will have to write a whole book here. Do lots of software modeling around the space you have before choosing what subwoofers to go with.

never said anything about blocks away i jus said can u hear 8’s coming down the block, not beating up the block, not blocks away, jus coming up the block yk, im talking 3-10 houses down 😂
I've heard my wife coming down the block bumping Taylor Swift in her suv with a stock basic stereo...so yeah 2 8's in a proper enclosure powered appropriately can get loud and be heard from a ways away

I've heard my wife coming down the block bumping Taylor Swift in her suv with a stock basic stereo...so yeah 2 8's in a proper enclosure powered appropriately can get loud and be heard from a ways away
Yeah honestly depending on the year (and price) of the car stock systems aren't amazing but they're 100x better than they used to be in the 90's. My friend just got a 2017 Dodge Ram with the base package and it has somewhat sound deadened doors, the ability to play sustained audible 30hz tones, and really the only thing bad about it is the sound deadening in the rear doors. You can definitely hear him coming down the block.

Efficiency in a given enclosure is what I always look at when choosing smaller subwoofers. It does no good to get an 8 inch subwoofer that requires 1 cubic ft, per sub ported, when a more efficient 8 can be optimally put into .5 cubic ft. Some 10s perform optimally in a smaller enclosure than some 8s do. Lasherz touched on kicker square subs, which I’m not against using, but the kicker L7 8 needed around 1.25 cubes ported in my experience with them, and you could actually fit 2 8 inch subs in that same box with some other 8s, or even a 10 inch. Im not going to go into xmax, xmech, resonance, etc., or we will have to write a whole book here. Do lots of software modeling around the space you have before choosing what subwoofers to go with.

Yeah but kicker 8's have a bigger cone area than most 8's, they're probably more like between an 8 and a 10 in terms of cone area.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...