Cadillac Escalade SQL Custom Build

I didn't mean to make you repeat yourself again sir sorry for that. I was just curious if you thought of using a processor or not. I understand the way you did the layout and I wasn't questioning that sir. I don't down or say anything against people's choice of equipment. As we all have our own experiences or preferred choices. I've seen those RF unit in quite a few SQ type vehicles. The system build is never done no matter how far you get lol.

This weekend was the start of sealing up and deadening the doors. Much more labor intensive than I anticipated, and I will only be getting the front doors completed this weekend; as I initially expected getting all passenger doors and rear access completed in one swoop.

Cleaning the doors in prep wasn't as difficult as I had expected. I used brake cleaner to wipe any contaminates off, there was almost no dust/dirt inside the door - this was also a pretty big surprise.

I have gone as close to 100% coverage that I am able to (inside/out), and I can tell you the sound of the door inside and out from an impact standpoint is night and day. Even closing the door with the panel off has a completely different sound.

For this go round the new Alpine SPX 17PRO front woofers will not be going in. I will be putting the factory Bose speakers back in until I can get the panels finished and the amps in. The nice part about doing it this way is a real comparison on how this application can change the characteristics of even a low grade factory speaker - maybe this only proves the theory of "installation over product" to me - though time will tell.

Also being installed is a rubber diffuser behind the woofer, this was a recommendation taken from others installs - I assume with such low power and a crappy Bose paper cone woofer that this may not really make a huge audible difference, can't hurt thought right?

First impressions - Interesting.

There is definitely a noticeable difference in the mid-bass - bass reproduction. Performing the door sealing will not fix or repair something lacking nor will it give you "more" bass. What it will do is give you more accurate reproduction and wake up your mid-bass. This will give you a more controlled and musically correct sound.

This increased control is what I had noticed immediately when playing Cee Lo Green, The Police, Qwote, Alicia Keys - and then I had arrived back home and it was time to turn the car off. Previously the bass/mid-bass from the factory Bose speakers was "sloppy" and felt like the speakers bottomed when loud on certain songs. I am now using the same speakers, and feel they maintain better response after completely sealing the interior and exterior panels.

Quite excited to be installing the Alpines soon!!! (I think?)

P.S. Sorry for only giving you guys cell phone pics, I just don't feel like dragging out the SLR when building

IMG_3216_zpsf1d905ff.jpg

IMG_3217_zps04f3e0a9.jpg

IMG_3218_zps73aaae95.jpg

IMG_3220_zps481f1020.jpg

IMG_3219_zps9f002faa.jpg

Received word today that my DC Power alternator will be shipping out on Thursday (Feb 12, 2013) and should be in my hands by the following Friday.

I guess I know what I'll be doing next weekend (for that 20 min anyway), there will no longer be excuses not to finish panels and the sub box with the power now there!

For a quick look at the product ordered and referenced previous (DC Power - 300SPX)

DCPowerSPX300_zpsd8bd2628.jpg

DCPowerSPX3002_zps0454ad20.jpg

With this alternator, the dual battery set up, and a 100% zero gauge main power and ground - I should have enough power

Great build. Love how u painted the interior black. Maybe one of these days gm will realize how bad their faux wood looks. Has been that way forever.

At first i thought the amp rack was a bad idea, it quickly grew on me tbough and is a greag use of space.

Any updates?

I still haven't received the alternator yet from DC Power, I have a sneaky suspicion it didn't ship when they had projected. Usually I'm no more than 5-7 business days shipping from anywhere in the US. This really is the big hold up to being able to finish the power side.

Still on the list:

Install alternator

Rear doors (deaden/seal)

Finish amp rack/panel

Finish sub box

Build baffles (front & rear)

Ground amps to chassis

Ground loop head unit (there is the smallest amount of whine, at low volume, which no passenger seems to notice - drives me nuts)

I guess that is still quite a list to complete before I'm "finished", and I won't get a chance to do any of it for a few weeks as I'm in MI next weekend through mid week cutting that weekend out.

As for moving the tweeters from the factory location, I have always preferred the sound of the tweeter when it doesn't reflect off of the windshield. I could have built the tweeter pods to be on axis in the A-pillar trim, but its too late now. My worry was the distance between the tweeter and the mid if I had also used the factory location, there is already a huge difference between the spaces whith them both in the door.

Since I am not going active (to start anyway) and I wanted to damage as few panels as possible this seemed a good option.

Great build. Love how u painted the interior black. Maybe one of these days gm will realize how bad their faux wood looks. Has been that way forever.
I know right!?!?!? How can you finish a vehicle off in this category with such poor finish an detail?

I'm not even saying that GM should have used real wood, but at least something with better feel - even aluminum, carbon fiber, alcantera, or something that doesn't scream cheap fake!

IMG_3347_zpsd79e5339.jpg

It finally arrived a week and a half ago, I just havent had time to install it yet.

Really is a great looking piece, it's too bad it's going to be under a closed hood.

I will get to installing this within the next month, if I ever get to the amps and speakers..............

Last weekend I finally got around to texturing and painting the rear panel that will hold the amp rack.

The texture look heavy until I sanded the tops off with 240 grit paper, which looked pretty good after final painting.

IMG_3358_zps7bbef390.jpg

IMG_3360_zpsdda786f9.jpg

IMG_3367_zps893f81fe.jpg

IMG_3364_zpsec12f024.jpg

IMG_3375_zps74aef26a.jpg

IMG_3373_zpsa7e61511.jpg

Today I opted to start assembling the rear panel FINALLY, as the project went deep last July and I have really been dragging my...... Anyway, the entire rear will need to come apart to reroute the wires/cables, or I will need to clearance the panel to accommodate the wires/cables in their current position. Regardless, it was a rookie mistake that I new better on. The rear part of the panel fits well, its only the front part that doesn't fit by about an 1" - the thickness of the cables! I should have mocked it up before finishing........ Oh well, a few more weekends when I have time - this will also give me a chance to figure out if I am rerouting, clearancing, or both to get that panel to sit correctly in the front.

It also was not my day with the T-Nuts, I stripped 2. Color looks off, but it's **** close - I'll grab some shots in the sun when it finally decides to come out!

Was definitely a good time to stop when I did.

IMG_3390_zps6288cbf0.jpg

IMG_3391_zpse430f8a3.jpg

IMG_3393_zpsa47a5ecf.jpg

IMG_3394_zpscc72c7fa.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.