Cadillac Escalade SQL Custom Build

Mommy Wagon
10+ year member

The goal of the build was to create an installation that looks like it was professionally completed - meaning all custom fiberglass, all wiring, and audio performance related items applied/installed need to look like I didn't do them in a garage.

Tall order - probably why this build is taking so long.

I drive my vehicle everyday, to work, to the gym, I meet clients (and often drive them), and home again. So my downtime needs to be very limited. This is probably the main reason for taking so long over my lack of ability. I guess that and going through readings from keep_hope_alive to give myself a better knowledge base before digging in.

I knew I wanted an SQL type installation, though I don't want to go too far overboard, as installation and finish items can be changed or adjusted overtime to suit your personal tastes or to refine the sound further. The SQL statement - both item are somewhat subjective - though my preference is definitely SQ, I just like it loud sometimes, though I don't want to sacrifice too much on sound.

I know there will be comments on equipment, or dislike of the installation, or even the overall build - go crazy. I have pretty thick skin, and I'm building this for myself - once again - garage build. What I have learned from keep_hope_alive, keep it clean and pay attention to how you install, as this will be the main factor in archiving overall sound quality.

There will be pictures attached to this build over the next few days to bring you all up to date from start until now. There is still a lot to be done before I can say its finished, though its coming together.

Please enjoy the build.

Vehicle: Cadillac - Escalade

Equipment:

Cables & Related

Monster Cable - MPC I404 4C (5M) - Separates/components

Monster Cable - MPC I404 2C (5M) - Subwoofer

Monster Cable - 202 LN (12ga.) - Speaker Wire

Monster Cable - (10ga.) - Sub wires

Kicker - Power Cable (0ga.) - All power, ground, BIG 3

Kicker - Misc terminals, fuse block, etc

Rockford Fosgate - Distribution block

Miscellaneous:

DC Power Inc - Alternator

Optima - Dual Group 34 Red Top batteries

NVX - Sound Deadener

Many yards for electrical tape, wire loom, foil tape, and tie straps

Head Unit, Speakers, Amplifiers

JVC - KW-AV70BT Double DIN

Alpine - Type X - SPX 17PRO (front components)

Alpine - Type R - SPR60 (rear fill)

Alpine - Type R - SWR12D4 (2 X subs)

Kicker - ZX650.4 - components/coaxial power

Kicker - ZX2500.1 - subwoofer power

IMG_2584_zps23a49896.jpg

IMG_2582_zpsfc5caf6e.jpg

As you can see its a fairly standard Escalade, with the only major upgrades being 26" black wheels (summer) and the removal of the roof rack. I'll shave the trim this year and blackout the tails - that's pretty much it. Maybe a lowering kit, though only if I need to do suspension work.

Using this as a work vehicle, I need modifications internally and externally to be mild though tasteful.

On to the build.......

Thinking that the ideal situation would be to make the replacement of panels in the event I sell or remove the equipment for some reason simple and as cost effective as possible, I opted to build tweeter pods. The woofers will be in the factory locations - though the door will be deadened, sealed, and baffled.

23IMG_2168_zpsb2fcb0df.jpg

22IMG_2164_zpsac25a2a8.jpg

25IMG_2180_zps0ded33ee.jpg

24IMG_2178_zps06b28549.jpg

27IMG_2187_zps790464d8.jpg

26IMG_2185_zpsb46e8e5e.jpg

The Sub Box - not so much a box........

I hoped to build a 1 cubic foot sealed enclosure, with the use of 1" MDF & Fiberglass. With that said, the rings (both layers) are 1" as is the internal support structure. With vibration, and all related possible structural integrity issues with a fiberglass box like this I wanted to make absolutely sure that the subs are well supported.

Is it overkill? Probably.

3IMG_2075_zps3acf9015.jpg

2IMG_2071_zpsd324279c.jpg

1IMG_2077_zpsd6eeb5ca.jpg

5IMG_2101_zps453be695.jpg

4IMG_2098_zps108bce70.jpg

9IMG_2130_zps5971744d.jpg

10IMG_2136_zps977cb22c.jpg

11IMG_2132_zpsf73a5fef.jpg

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/awesome.gif.4430a219d9aaaa6cadc75e9290979dfb.gif

Beautiful job. Can't wait to see what it will look like finished. (Of course an Audiophile is never finished ;-) )

Rear Amplifier Panel

I had intended to wreck only a single panel in this (aside from the tweeter pods). All wires, cables, and installation items were to be done cleanly without damage and seem somewhat factory - or at least like I didn't build the components in my garage.

I wanted this panel to be a 2 piece unit, as with a "factory look" build there should be the retention of some factory features - like access to the jack, and rear door actuator. I also wanted to be able to remove the sub box and install the 3rd row if I needed to. Goal achieved thought know it isn't to everyone's taste.

18IMG_2154_zps8b3eb2d4.jpg

19IMG_2158_zpsf5b022e4.jpg

30IMG_2197_zps64c824a1.jpg

31IMG_2199_zps9318de7d.jpg

Im confused on the SQL sub stage. Type Rs and kicker amps? With all the work and money your investing it seems to me like a poor choice of your sub stage. Nice work and project, just seems wierd to put the type rs in that app.

Im confused on the SQL sub stage. Type Rs and kicker amps? With all the work and money your investing it seems to me like a poor choice of your sub stage. Nice work and project, just seems wierd to put the type rs in that app.
agreed ,i'd gone with some id max or daytons instead,sme with components ,i'd gone with some dls gothia 3 way components instead of the type x comps

Destined2Race & mylows10 - I assume you both did not read the opening statement.

This setup can be refined in any way to suit taste. If I want new amps, I replace the single MDF rear panel and install new amps. If I don't like the front stage - I replace it.

The main point was to integrate deadening, use quality cables, and get the installation right - the rest of the items are a few twists of screws to replace.

Also, mylows10, my first idea was 3-ways, though after discussions with keep_hope_alive (an acoustical engineer might I add) I opted to go to a 2-way setup. He stated the best sound will be had in prepping the doors correctly, and less about components. Whatever I don't like, I can replace, as long as the installation base is solid.

The reason for going to the Alpine Type X Comps - I really love the tweeter and the crossovers. If the woofer is less than desirable then I will replace them. The Type R subs were a sweet deal I couldn't pass up, they are the new 2012 models which are apparently better than previous years and more closely resemble a Type X sub. Which would seem is not either of your preference anyway.

Regardless, there will be more pictures to come..........

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.