Cablguy184's 1949 Ford Custom Sedan

Participant count
  • Participant list

cablguy184
10+ year member

SQ "White Lightning"
Looks like I have me a new (old) toy to work on ... a 1949 Ford 2 Door Custom Sedan !!!

I know, i'm primarily a Chevy guy, but this one I just can not resist ... These are my dad's favorite body style cars and he has always fixed them up origional ...

Not me !!!

image_url-43297-1367790679.jpg

image_url-43297-1367791019.jpg

It has a Flat 6 in it now that runs great, so we plan to leave the drive train stock until we get the body and interior up to par ...

Just not sure yet as to go with a Ford or Chevy drive train ... guess it all depands on what I can find to fix her up with at that time ...

This is the direction I want to go with this car ... Eventually !!!

But I must take baby steps. I do not have the budget to tear it all apart and build a practically bran new car ...

I found these pics using Google ...

image_url-43297-1368426964.jpg

image_url-43297-1368426891.jpg

image_url-43297-1368426997.jpg

image_url-43297-1368426929.jpg

looking at my car and then looking closely to these pics, you can tell that there is MASSIVE modification work done to the body of these cars !!! Some I plan to do to mine ... Like the frenched in head lights, going with 2 windows on each side instead of 4, body stance ... Many details !!!

She has a 6 volt charging system that will HAVE to be changed to a 12 volt system before any Electronic modifications are done to this vehicle ...

This motor will crank up and run great !!! Just needed a hot battery and a gallon Jug of gas ... We drove it to the work location !!!

image_url-43297-1367792875.jpg

image_url-43297-1367792842.jpg

To date, My dad has restored 6 of these cars (I worked on most of them as a kid) ... He has 2 left, the one he is working on now and this Black one.

It was bought about 12 years ago to be restored and for the most part, work has been done to it, but put aside SEVERAL times for other vehicles ...

He plans to restore the Blue one, but has no intrest in selling the Black one. So, he gave it to me so it would stay in the Family.

Over the years the car has been cranked up and moved around in the yard and has been driven up and down the road a few times, but for the most part, sits under the old tree in dad's back yard just waiting for someone to give it some TLC ...

We've taken a hot battery and a jug of gas out into the field and cranked up his old cars for years !!! Now all of them are gone (primarily cause of his bad health) except the two 49 sedans ... I'm sure down the road that I will end up with both of them but I am definately not wanting to push that issue !!! He wants to see them completly fixed up and restored before he dies (his words) ... But I have plans to customize mine. Just to see how it turns out ...

Interior ... Well, there isn't any ... LOL

image_url-43297-1367791221.jpg

What do you think about our temporary gas tank ?? It works !!!

image_url-43297-1367791270.jpg

As soon as the primary things are done to make this a running / driveable vehicle ... This will be my first place to start rebuilding and customizing !!!

As you can see, we have plenty of room to work with when we get ready to set her up for stage and image !!!

very cool.. ive got a 69 continental im working on now.. old cars are fun!
Thanks ... and I know a friend working on one similar ... Thunderbird I think

Man this will look good when it's done! Can't wait. You going to put a system in there?
Thanks ... and yes, we have plans for a Sound Quality system in this car ...

This is where we are at now ... Behind Dad's shop on blocks.

image_url-43297-1367791438.jpg

We have the brakes completely tore apart waiting on parts ... we are going to completely rebuild the Master Cylinder and Wleel Clyinders and replace the rubber brake lines.

From what we can tell, the "hard line" brake lines are fine ... For now

Will I ever replace the drum brakes with power disc brakes ??? Yea later when I have the time and money. But for now, the drum brakes should work just fine ...

not you. the guy with the 69 conti

Front drums suck //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Nice! I just finished my 65 rancheros engine and tranny and all the mechanical things 2 days ago! Now just the exterior. Interior is done for the most part. Just hiding a few wires here and there now. Good luck with your build man!!!

not you. the guy with the 69 conti
Front drums suck //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
oh ... ok

Those brakes will work good enough until I get whats needing to be done first ... We will make upgrades on what works later ...

Nice! I just finished my 65 rancheros engine and tranny and all the mechanical things 2 days ago! Now just the exterior. Interior is done for the most part. Just hiding a few wires here and there now. Good luck with your build man!!!
Nice !!!

Small update ... No pics at this time, Sorry.

Got her brakes fixed, got stock wheels with decent tires mounted, and loaded up on the trailer and brought her home !!!

I got her completely changed (engine only, lets get real here ...) over to a 12 volt system. Just got to install an Alternator so it will charge normal.

Going to install a complete wiring harness as soon as possible. But for now, just have the key switch set up so it will start up and shut down the car normally ...

I just googled and found a Dakota Digital dash cluster set for this car ... **** THEY ARE EXPENSIVE !!! ... Maybe later

I will start looking up air conditioner setups later too ...

I have to get out and find a suitable fuel tank so we can driver her around the block a few times in the near future ...

In all actuality ... I do not see any reason why we couldn't plan out the dash and kick pannel drivers and start a little audio fabrication soon ...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.