c-pillar wall? or standard slot port?

Participant count
  • Participant list

BassAndBeer

CarAudio.com Elite
I am doing my 4 18s in my suburban after all, my Tahoe isn't gna be out of the shop in time. next event is in august and I wanna have everything ready by then. I was thinking of doing a c-pillar wall slot ported, or a standard ported box below the window line. I am giving each sub 6 cubes after all displacements no matter what box type I go with, I just want opinions. what will sound better and move more air. I don't really care about numbers as long as I can pull hair tricks

C pillar wall is usually not worth the extra trouble over a street build for numbers. Depending on the build you can hair trick without a wall (I do //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif )

I'm very happy with c-pillar wall but I was really limited for space in the cargo area... and I think I got really lucky with volume and tuning working out well for my tastes on my second port trial. As has been said, don't expect a huge difference in numbers until you're ready to give up the back seats.

but I don't care about numbers, as long as I can hair trick and get real low. ive seen a couple no wall builds that can hairtrick but don't you think a wall on the c-pillar will sound better than a normal box? maybe not louder or even as loud but at least there wont be any rattling at the hatch, and id love to look back and see 4 big *** subs just staring back at me. lol idk man, I think I might go with a c-pillar. I hear a lot of guys say they would rather do b-pillar if they do a wall but some guys say their happy with their c-pillar and they get down. plus ive never done a wall, it would be something different to me and im always up for the challenge of building a wall

C pillar wall is usually not worth the extra trouble over a street build for numbers. Depending on the build you can hair trick without a wall (I do //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif )

yeah all I wanna have behing the wall is my 2 4500s and a couple batteries. matter of fact the wall would save me more space, since it would be high it would make up for the shortened length and therefore give me more room to work with behind the wall. if I were to build a normal box I was gna have it 6 inches away from the hatch, basically no room for anything. might c-pillar it up

I'm very happy with c-pillar wall but I was really limited for space in the cargo area... and I think I got really lucky with volume and tuning working out well for my tastes on my second port trial. As has been said, don't expect a huge difference in numbers until you're ready to give up the back seats.

yeah all I wanna have behing the wall is my 2 4500s and a couple batteries. matter of fact the wall would save me more space, since it would be high it would make up for the shortened length and therefore give me more room to work with behind the wall. if I were to build a normal box I was gna have it 6 inches away from the hatch, basically no room for anything. might c-pillar it up
That's the catch. It's not so much about box volume at that point but more where you put all your amps and batteries.... better be more than "a couple" batteries if you plan to run 9KW worth of amps.

I plan on running dual alts, gna run 1 for now. still havnt figured out what size alt to get. I was thinking mechman elite 370

That's the catch. It's not so much about box volume at that point but more where you put all your amps and batteries.... better be more than "a couple" batteries if you plan to run 9KW worth of amps.

but I don't care about numbers, as long as I can hair trick and get real low. ive seen a couple no wall builds that can hairtrick but don't you think a wall on the c-pillar will sound better than a normal box? maybe not louder or even as loud but at least there wont be any rattling at the hatch, and id love to look back and see 4 big *** subs just staring back at me. lol idk man, I think I might go with a c-pillar. I hear a lot of guys say they would rather do b-pillar if they do a wall but some guys say their happy with their c-pillar and they get down. plus ive never done a wall, it would be something different to me and im always up for the challenge of building a wall
lol you just answered your own question then. Its your build and if you want to look back and see 4 subs thats your prerogative. I am Just stating from experience a cpillar is generally not really worth it over a standard street build for SPL, hair tricks, etc in an suv.

lol you just answered your own question then. Its your build and if you want to look back and see 4 subs thats your prerogative. I am Just stating from experience a cpillar is generally not really worth it over a standard street build for SPL, hair tricks, etc in an suv.
what about a b- pillar wall - vs- a big asss box?

i have been wanting to do a wall with 4- 15" for some time. but im really thinking its not going to matter if i do a box for 4- 15"

well anyway im getting 4- 12" and just going to do a box for them instead of a wall.

but still wandering.

yeah im going with a c-pillar, my first wall. wish me luck

what about a b- pillar wall - vs- a big asss box?
i have been wanting to do a wall with 4- 15" for some time. but im really thinking its not going to matter if i do a box for 4- 15"

well anyway im getting 4- 12" and just going to do a box for them instead of a wall.

but still wandering.
You should gain big on the B-pillar. Between reducing the distance from the speakers/port to you and reducing the volume you're trying to pressurize it's like 8dB gain on paper.

You should gain big on the B-pillar. Between reducing the distance from the speakers/port to you and reducing the volume you're trying to pressurize it's like 8dB gain on paper.
shitt really that much...

damm

maybe i need to rethink all this.

shitt really that much...damm

maybe i need to rethink all this.
On paper it's a significant gain.... real world you'll lose a bit from flexing panels and compression (as you pressurize the cabin woofers need to work harder to press more) etc. AND you don't have to worry about volume at all so you can gain there, gain from port area, and also go extra strong on bracing or layers of material for more gains.

If I didn't have company visiting later this summer that I'll need back seat for I'd have done B-pillar myself by now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.