Buying a new system.

dennisk415

I really don't know much when it comes to car audio. I just bought a 2017 honda accord lx. The speakers ****. I went to a local shop and I said hey I would like four new speakers and a sub and use my stock head unit since everything is tied into it. so he put together two sets of focal speakers one components and coax 6 channel jl audio amp jl sub and a jl audio oem integration dsp fix 82. I am fine with the prices quoted for the material but his labor is 680 dollars and 160 dollars for accessories. I really don't know if the labor is fare or not. Thanks in advance

Dennnis

Components - $100

Rear Speakers - $70

Subwoofer - $20

6 Channel - $120

Summing Device - $50

Not sure if I am missing anything but that is $360. $680 seems extremely high.

$160 for accessories? What does that include? Between a good wiring kit, RCAs, 9 wire, speaker brackets, and speaker harnesses... that on the low side at retail value.

Any sound deadening?

EDIT: I see you are in San Francisco - that is probably the going rate out there.

What shop I know most of the better ones in the area since I used to live in San Carlos but yes $680 in labor does sound high. But I do know that the processor setup can be a time consuming one. So that my be the bulk of the money

I really don't know much when it comes to car audio. I just bought a 2017 honda accord lx. The speakers ****. I went to a local shop and I said hey I would like four new speakers and a sub and use my stock head unit since everything is tied into it. so he put together two sets of focal speakers one components and coax 6 channel jl audio amp jl sub and a jl audio oem integration dsp fix 82. I am fine with the prices quoted for the material but his labor is 680 dollars and 160 dollars for accessories. I really don't know if the labor is fare or not. Thanks in advance
Dennnis

Dude he's just got $$$ in his eyes because you brought in a 2017 car. If he's tuning the DSP with an RTA and fully doing an amazing super tune with it with full blown time alignment, EQ, ETC, it should sound absurd with the SQ, not just "oh this sounds nice and clean" No you cant settle for just nice and clean paying that much money.

Your soundstage should be on point, you can pinpoint out where every instrument is coming from. Midbass should come on very strong and you can hear drums sweeping across the dash, vocalist dead center even tho there's no center speakers. You should hear every minute detail and clarity in a song. If you have a good pair of headphones aka audiotechnica m50s or higher, you should hear that first for a reference on what clarity and detail is. Your car should beat that out by a mile when properly setup.

for 680 dollars worth of labor, you should have an Sound Quality competition level ready install and tune.

As for the gear.... if his price is equal to amazon plus a 50 to 100 ish bucks, then its a standard good price from a dealer. If he's selling it to you for manufacturer MSRP, then you are getting hosed.

Guys he is only getting the Fix not the TwK.... no tuning is available. If he was getting both then I would say $680 seems a bit more reasonable.

I talked to four other shops in the san francisco bay area and everyone is pretty darn close to the same price and a couple of them higher. I guess its just more expensive here. Thanks for the input

Here is a system one of the the shop put together.

alpine spr-60c 6 1/2 component

alpine spr-60 co ax

alpine 5 channel amp pdr-v75

3 pcc foam enhancer

jl audio 10inch sub 10w1v3-4

hi tech 10 inch box

jl audio fix82 oem integration dsp

and install

total quoted 2087.36

Thoughts?

Here is a system one of the the shop put together.alpine spr-60c 6 1/2 component

alpine spr-60 co ax

alpine 5 channel amp pdr-v75

3 pcc foam enhancer

jl audio 10inch sub 10w1v3-4

What shop ?

hi tech 10 inch box

jl audio fix82 oem integration dsp

and install

total quoted 2087.36

Thoughts?
What shop?

Try sound waves in San Carlos they don't lots of high end cars. Also. See if they'll install equipment that you bring in. If so I. Could help you save some cash possibly

So I went to another audio shop and the owner recommended a very simple set up of two pairs of coaxial speakers amp very small 6 and woofer and the budget is right on spot. He said I didn't need a dsp aka digital sound processor with this simple set up any thoughts?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.