Buying a New Car, New Speaker time!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Claviger

My current setup is a set of 6.5 and Hi-Vi speakers for front stage and a single Sundown Audio Sa-12D2. The front stage is run off an amazing a/d/s amp and the sub is powered (well) by my Zapco 750.2 running at 1ohm bridged.

I am buying a new car that has 6x9s in the doors both front and rear as well as dual 8" subs and 2x3" tweeters in the dash. The vehicle were buying is slightly larger inside so I am going to add more and would like some 6x9 recommendations if you would please. I will be adding a 2nd Sa-12, possibly a second 750.2 or switch to a much larger zapco (read 2k+), and need a front stage that wont get smothered by the bass while retaining clarity. The stock subs are going away completely.

Sets I am considering:

Image Dynamics CTX69

DDAudio CXS 6x9

JL Audio TR690-TXi

Alpine SPR-69

They need to be able to pull good mid-bass duty from 90hz and up, and will have about 90 watts to do it per speaker. From these four which is the best and why (mostly dubstep and metal with some rap included).

Let me tell you something boss.

I just put my old Rockford Fosgate 6x9s in up front(first speakers i bought when i first got into ca).

I've made a ton of changes, took them out completely, used them as rear fill attenuated, everything. And for the past six months I've e had them in the rear deck turned down at 80hz-300hz while i changed my entire system inside and out.

But my most recent change (probably permanent unless i go 8" up front), was removing those 8ohm Anarchy's up front and putting the 6x9s in place of them. (not trying to start an anarchy thread here)

These things rock as midbass..... I've never used them for this purpose, up front midbass, but an now starting yesterday, and I'm completely amazed and satisfied with them. They sound great. They are coax, but I'm only running them 80hz-250ish...

I'll check those you mentioned though. I think I'd rather have a 6x9 woofer rather than a coax.

By the way, zapco owns!

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

That's the t1693 by Rockford

Sundown Neo Pro 8s on baffles with ~200wpc will keep up. But you'll need to add tweets and I would recommend active instead of passive crossovers with about 50-75wpc on the tweets. ← Use the passive crossovers that come with the tweeters for higher power.

Twenty five watts per channel on tweets would be fine but those amps aren't plentiful in car audio.

Thanks for the replies so quickly guys!

The concept I am running through my head is:

The very smooth tweets I already have custom surface mounted facing the passengers on the dash running of my A/D/S amp actively crossed around 2500 (ish).

Running a set of coax 6x9s in the front doors off the other two channels on the same amp to fill the front stage actively bandpass filtered from 200hz(ish) to 2500hz(ish).

Then using my extra amp (Alpine MRV-F407) bridged to run the rear door 6x9s from 80hz or 90hz to 250hz(ish) for mid bass. It puts out solid power for mid bass with a nice clean signal.

Finally of the Dual 750.2 and dual sa-12 or Zapco 2k and dual sa-12.

You think this concept will blend well or sound all crazy and separated?

Sadly 8s up front are out of the question due to mounting depth and my wifes tolerance to me hacking up a 0 mile car lol.

The way I would do it is 6x9 subs in the front doors for midbass up to 1 kHz, 3" mids in the dash, and 1" imaging tweeters on the windshield. What I'm talking about is a can be done with CDT Audio speakers. The mids and tweeters could be run on passives with the subs run active so you can run the 6 speakers on 4 channels.

My car came setup the same way and I simply made a baffle to change the 6x9 spot in the door to one suitable for a 6.5.

This opens up your choices a lot more to find a better driver for your money.

I say do that; and just get a basic 2 way 6.5 comp set with the tweeters mounted either in the stock dash locations or on the windshield (whichever you choose).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Claviger

Claviger
Georgia
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Why So Cereal?