Building up my electrical.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Full Tilt
10+ year member

Bonafide MAFer
Iowa
Hey guys. To get right into it, I'm currently running about 900w off my car and she can handle it pretty well. However, I'm going to be upgrading to about 2000w this summer, so I'm going to need to do some serious beefing up to get my car ready for that kind of an upgrade. I just had some questions on doing so.

1. I currently have the big 3 done in Knu 4ga CCA. I'm assuming this should be up'd to 1/0ga?

2. To the back, I'm running 5ga Schosche (it's pretty much the size of 4ga). Would it be better to add another run, or replace it with 1/0ga?

3. Since I'm over doubling my power, I figure that either a H/O alt or another battery is in order. My question is, which one would be more effective in my setup? My current alternator is in the 125A range (I say range because I've heard anywhere from 105 to 160, but I saw 125 on a certain page). I know it's not good to run 2 batteries off of a stock alternator, so would a new alternator be just fine for 2000w? Or would an upgraded battery need to be used for the new alternator?

What other precautions/upgrades will I need to make? It's only 2000w which may seem almost miniscule to some of your systems, but it's over doubling what I'm currently running. Would these upgrades pretty much cover it?

if you want to make power over the long term the alt should always come first. Alternators make voltage not batteries. A good alt should power it by itself no problem. And dont use anymore CCA

if you want to make power over the long term the alt should always come first. Alternators make voltage not batteries. A good alt should power it by itself no problem. And dont use anymore CCA
Dont knock cca i run 4k+ and have over 100' in my car no problems...that extra 50a or current flow isnt worth the dough to me

So, I won't have to change batteries, I should be able to just upgrade my wiring and then get a H/O alternator - and that should support it?

So, I won't have to change batteries, I should be able to just upgrade my wiring and then get a H/O alternator - and that should support it?
You are still going to need a couple agm s ..the batts do play a big role..go to sams and get a duracell agm under the hood and a second g31 duracell for the back and u will be golden

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.