Budget Necessary for a Decent Build?

michael632

Texas
I'm looking to replace everything in my '05 Chevy Silverado, including the head unit, and I'd like to add a sub. I'm not looking for incredible quality sound, as anything new will be a huge upgrade over my terrible stock speakers. That said, how much would I have to pay to get a solid build? Nothing too fancy, but I don't want to buy crappy parts either.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

~Michael

~2 grand if you're smart about it, depends on how much output you want from your system, subs will be limited because under the seat boxes are inherently limiting. if you're pretty technically inclined install everything besides building the enclosure and wiring the headunit (unless you're confident in doing that, can be difficult for some)

you have the benefit of having a GM full size which is one of the most commonly modified vehicles for car audio

double that cost if you want the whole thing installed by someone else

Sounds like u want to shop on Craigslist... Ballin on a budget.
Used HU $150

Used woofers n box $250

Used mono amp $200

Used speakers $100

Used 4ch amp $100

Wiring kit $100
Basic head unit. $100.

Headunit with crossover and eq(worth) $180+

Woofers n box can vary. Craigslist can be good. Things like sundowns Sd like or D/gcon are good bets as well for low price but new.

Mono amp 200$

Used 4 channel is usually in the $125 plus range.

Used speakers are way more than 100$ if you want anything close to decent. Xt25 neo tweeter plus a good pair of 6.5s will net you 150$ new.

Wiring kit can vary. You could get a 5 channel amp and save on wiring and 2nd amp price but at the cost of less power to the sub generally.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Wow, that's a lot more than I expected. What exactly drives the cost up that much?
Decent equipment, even used, can set you back a bit. I have about 2,300 in my 'budget' build, and at one point 90% of it was used. If you know what you are trying to achieve and have a fair budget in mind, and maybe he willing to buy some used, you may come out alright. Just make sure that those you buy used from have a good reputation as a seller/trader. You can either peruse their sig, or visit their profile page to see their rating as a seller/trader, and good luck dude. You just have to be patient, and get ready to see what you really needed, after you buy what you wanted, and usually cheaper as well, and one more thing, I would less than HUMAN if I did not let you know that this schit here is as addictive as fuq, peace.

Buy what you want the first time. SOOO many people go through good gear. Sell it and buy more crap when looking for some end all.

Your biggest focus should be your install, your source (both files and headunit (dacs)) and a solid dsp.

Dsp is the single most important and ignored feature of a system. Learning to tune will make average gear sound phenomenal

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

For budget amps and HU I always recommend Kenwood to my friends. They do the job well at a decent price and last forever. Maybe look into a HU, mono, and 4 channel from Kenwood. As for subs SoundQubed has some affordable quality subs, I wouldn't cheap out here it would be very noticeable. Also, not sure if you have an extended cab or 4 door but that changes the amount of room you have for a sub and types of door speakers. For door speakers it can be a real crapshoot when looking for a low price but for low price I really like Infinity (their subs aren't too bad either) Clarion is decent too but I always preferred Infinity.

Do some shopping and this should get you in way under $2000. Granted its not a "dream" system but I can appreciate wanting to get away from stock and that will be a solid start. With a good quality amp wiring kit you'll be able to upgrade components as you see fit and get along just fine. Good luck!

2 grand is right, take your time buying one part at a time thats how a lot of us did it. 2 grand sounds like a lot to me too, but ive far surpassed that at this point.

start out with an aftermarket headunit, 4 channel amp with 9 wire run to the rear wall where you'll mount the amp, and then replacing the door speakers with better aftermarket items. then worry about your sub stage

I won't touch a newer Kenwood h/u , I've had nothing but problems with my 997 and 998 with the faceplate acting up. Pioneer all the way there I got my prs80 for 140 since the guy couldn't understand how to use it. For amps and subs soundquebed has some nice beginner stuff or check out FU audio for subs he has nice deals.As for highs and mids and tweets ,check out parts express and see what they have in your size. It all depends on installation and the room you have to work with. Measure your stuff and tell us a budget and we can make better recommendations.

My daughters bf has the same truck. But a crew cab. We did his build A new pioneer double din wire harness $500 sub amp $320 speakers. $200 custom box $250. All the wires $150 cca sub $200 4 channel $270 deadener $100 Just over 2k

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.