Budget DIY Set - Think I got It...

diesel_kid
10+ year member

Diesel Lover
Well I don't have any cash to spare at the moment but I have everything for my system except for the mids and tweeters. I have been reading through alot of posts on here and diyaudio.com and such and well I would really love to hook up some horns along with some extremis or xxx's. But like I said I dont have much in the $$ department lol. So I have been hearing alot about the Dayton RS180 Mids and how they are a steal and then I read a thread about a guy that is running them along with some Northcreek D25-06S Tweeters, which just so happen are in a good price range for me.

As far as amps right now I have an Xtant 403A, and an Xtant 302A. I will be running an active x-over through my 9835 and also using the EQ in the HU. I just picked up an Arc Audio Arc Series 12" D4 for my subwoofer.

I was wondering if this would be a good setup for the budget since the RS180s are $65 a pair, and the Northcreeks are $38 a pair. I mostly listen to Metal, with alot of Classic Rock, and some Old country too (Johnny Cash, John Prine). The only problem I can see myself encountering is the mounting of the tweeters in my truck, since they are so huge (4 1/8" Diameter) and also I am worried about what I have heard that the Daytons need a good amount of Eqing and I am just wondering if the 5 band EQ in my 9835 would be up to the task.

Anyways, thanks for any input into this system, like I said it is my first system and I have been putting off getting a system for a while and I think its time to get done, even if its on a tight budget. Thanks again.

-Jared

PS. If you have heard a setup similar to this, what would it compare to as far as mainstream components go?

if you could add $40 to the tweeter budget, i'd get a pair of LPG 25NFAs. Awesome awesome detailed tweeter. Known for its top end. I have them and they are great. probably one of the best price to ratio tweeters.

as for the eq, it might be sufficient enough to run the mid/tweet combo.

I have been recommended a couple different tweeters including the above mentioned LPG, and also the Seas line. What do you guys suggest, since the seas are twice as much as the Northcreeks, hmmmm

Can't comment on the drivers and the tweets b/c I have not heard them, but I can on the Arc 12D4 sub....It's smooth like butter and can get down like James Brown....you will like it foshizzle:D

Seas CA18RNX and Max Fidelity Tweeters

best budget setup!

you can also go with LPG tweeters (which also sound great)

...but I really like the sound of Max Fi tweets, very detailed with a laid back sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.