Budget 6.5 component w/ good mid bass

Dan B
10+ year member

Seattle
Hey guys I'm looking for a budget 6.5 component set for my commuter car. Budget around $250 . I will problem be running these off a NVX jad 800.4 I listen to mostly hip-hop. I want something with strong mid bass I know install will make a big difference. I will be fully sound deadening doors with CDL MLV and CCF .

Also what is your guy's opinion on running two sets of components in the front doors? I'm thinking about building custom door pods and running two 6 1/2 components in the front doors.

Head unit - 80prs

Sub- 10" icon

Sub amp - NVX JAD1200.1

Thanks Dan B

With an 80 prs I would not recommend going with components at all, utter waste of money on a passive crossover and inferior drivers where your 80 prs active crossovers are in every way superior. I'd actually get raw drivers and go active. If you can make custom door pods, Get two crescendo pwx 8s or 10s instead. Any soft dome tweets that can be crossed low would match well. Unless you spend over 300 dollars, most mids in component sets are pretty sh*t for the value. Literally get better performance out of the crescendo pwx than every component mids i've tried from cdt to phd to jbl and the list goes on....

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff, haven't done active yet so a little nervous but I guess no better time then now to take the plunge. I have had some high end components but it seems to get really confusing when matching raw drivers. Can you suggest a tweeter or two to look at ? I really know nothing about raw drivers or what to look for but think it might be time to learn. I love learning new stuff and getting to build and expand my car audio setup . Thanks for your time

not to highjack the thread, how would these sound in comparison to jl c5-650's, i've never used raw drivers!!
Guess what... remove the passive crossovers from the 650 and you now have raw drivers.

Anything you can buy as a single is a raw driver

Guess what... remove the passive crossovers from the 650 and you now have raw drivers. Anything you can buy as a single is a raw driver
Ha good catch.

A sub is a raw driver. A mid with nothing else attached to it is a raw driver. A tweeter is a raw driver.

Guess what... remove the passive crossovers from the 650 and you now have raw drivers. Anything you can buy as a single is a raw driver
I should have clarified, non mainstream car audio brands.

The idea of choosing inexpensive drivers and having it sound better than more expensive kits...

I don't have the option of listening to anything other than mainstream where I live, the car audio scene has disappeared, for the most part.

I should have clarified, non mainstream car audio brands.The idea of choosing inexpensive drivers and having it sound better than more expensive kits...

I don't have the option of listening to anything other than mainstream where I live, the car audio scene has disappeared, for the most part.
Don't get so caught up in that. Yes some stuff isn't worth the money but most of the cheaper stuff isn't meant to live in a car door. There are diamonds out there but it's not all it's cracked up to be. If you really pay attention you will notice that the people that praise cheap speakers are the same ones that swap drivers every few weeks because they are never satisfied.

Don't get so caught up in that. Yes some stuff isn't worth the money but most of the cheaper stuff isn't meant to live in a car door. There are diamonds out there but it's not all it's cracked up to be. If you really pay attention you will notice that the people that praise cheap speakers are the same ones that swap drivers every few weeks because they are never satisfied.
Thanks for the advise.

I've been beating on these JLs for 9 years and 4 vehicles and they continue to work.

Sorry OP for highjacking, it's all yours!

I get that any component set is just raw drivers paired with a passive crossover. But being that they are all designed to go together takes some of the guess work out of it. That being said my head unit should give me far superior crossover settings them passive. So buying a set with crossovers that I probly won't use does seem like a waste of money. Can anyone else suggest some speakers/component I should look at ? Or at least some good brands. Also nobody has commented on running 2 mids in the front door ? I see it all over the place but have read there issues with group delay and cancellation? Don't know much about just woundering if it's a good idea. Reason I was thinking about it was the extra volume and midbass from running more speakers but don't want rear fill. And running two sets of the same size would be easier then running 3 way ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.