Broken sub repair?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ƒractaL

NYC
Hey everyone! My first post. I tried searching but didn't find much. I have had an Alpine SWS-254BP (bandpass box) with a Sony XPlod amp for a while now (came with my previous car, '97 Maxima) that sounded great, but after switching to my new car the sub no longer works. This has been confirmed by professional installers. The amp still works 100%.

The sub itself seems to still have it's cone intact, including surrounds. But it provides no sound. I LOVED the way this sub sounded and I would much rather get this one fixed than buy a new sub / box. Could someone point me in the right direction as to where to take it to get fixed in the NYC / Long Island area? Or other suggestions? Thanks!

I was afraid of that. I looked around and couldn't find it to buy anywhere. Stores don't seem to stock bandpass boxes anymore.

Should I just be looking at getting a separate sub / box and doing it myself? I was thinking of getting a nice Nakamichi 10 or 12" but don't know anything about matching it with a box, I'm such a newb at this stuff. What I want to avoid is trunk rattle and just general bad sound design I hear with a lot of DIY systems, the band pass box was so engineered to sound so good...

So I'm leaning toward picking up a Nakamichi SP-W120. Does anyone have any comments on this sub? What kind of enclosure should I be looking for? Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone I appreciate it. My amp still works so no need to get a new one. Another question: is a low power, high SQ 12" in a sealed box going to produce anywhere near the amount of bass my Alpine BP box made?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.