breaking in

Participant count
  • Participant list

PLASTIKMAN
10+ year member

BASS DRIVE-BY KING :(
WI
i get my subs(s12l7's) installed tomorrow and i really would like to take the break in time thing seriously since i cannot afford to blow one. now what i would like to know is what volume i should try not to pass and how long i should play it like this for? i have a alpine-9827 so that might help. im thinking about trying not to go futher than volume 12 and definetly not passing 15. is this babying them a little too much? i believe the max volume is 30. what do u guys suggest? and should i do this for the full 2 weeks the manual says, maybe more, maybe less, maybe 3 days, maybe none at all? thanks u guys r the best!!

better safe than sorry. if the manual says 2 weeks, then follow it...

some say breaking in is a myth, others disagree. i think u can live with taking it easy for a week or two.

well i got em installed yesterday and they sure do hit well. but i think just a tad louder would be perfect and satisfy my ridiculous bass needs, so i guess i'll see if after these 2 weeks there is a difference. do u believe there will be? also im very parranoid that ive been pushing them too hard yesterday and today. because a million different people wanted to hear them but like LOUD. they all said omg thats ridiculous and that im nuts that i want louder. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif but thats me!

they arent that loud outside of the car but inside they sure are. all my friends seemed to say that and i agree. will that change after break in time?

ok i have an alpine h/u(9827) like i said before... and i want these subs to get as loud and sound as nice as they possibly can long term so breaking in is very important to me. now the guy who installed them said that i would be ok playin it at around volume 20 or 21 for its break in time. very cool guy but i just dont believe thats safe. again im not sure. so i usually sit around 15 and when i show my friends i'll max out at 18,19. i just dont know what they can handle and im afraid to test that out so soon. cuz 18 sounds VERY loud with my bass mekanik songs. it just seems any louder and they are being pushed close to max, but i dont know. for christ sakes i had walmart subs before these so i dont know, they might even be able to get twice as loud with no prob.

also are the surrounds and cones on these supposed to move alot, they also seem stiff yet. my friend said im being a pu55y and im being too parranoid because they arent even moving that much when they hit at around volume 17. but from my "research" these dont really have much excursion so its hard to tell you are pushing them too hard, might not be correct, i dont know u tell me................so anyone who has this similar setup or just has some good knowledge on this, tell me how i should ride for these next 2 weeks. thanks! best audio forum available!!

p.s. on the amp(kx1200.1) the settings are approx at... x-over=85 out of 200; gain=5 out of 11; bass boost=6 out of 18.... and theyre in a 5.03^3 ported box tuned 34hz(kickers "street bass" specs). on the h/u the mx is off. the bass is at +0 out of +7 and the subwoofer is at +15(maxed out). all in the back of my 2000 mercury mountainer. i hope this is enough info!

dont listne to ur friend. cus if if tehy blow ur jus screwed unless hes gonna buy u another one. id jus follow what the mauel says and break in 4 a couple weeks. and turn down the sub-w on ur deck never a good idea to have anythign maxed out.

Break-in periods are unncessary, they are only mentioned in the manual to cover the companys ass on warranties. Use your equipment properly and there won't be any problems.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

PLASTIKMAN

10+ year member
BASS DRIVE-BY KING :(
PLASTIKMAN
WI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date