Breaking in new sub-woofer?

yes, and no, its always good to slowly add power over a couple of days, the surround needs time to stretch thats the main thing, its not like a motorcycle.

youre about to kick up alot of debate around here. hah. people say you need to or else when you hit the lows you might damage the sub because the spiders are still stiff. but alot of people say its bull and you dont need to.

There's a good/long thread over at DIYMA with some actual data posted. IMO ********, if you break the sub either it's poorly made or you're abusing it. I would argue that any properly built sub should be able to withstand its rated power right out of the box provided you have proper box and HPF settings.

That cvr doesn't exactly have massive, super-stiff spiders that need to break in. Don't play it at full tilt for a couple of days if it makes you feel better but it won't make much difference.

That cvr doesn't exactly have massive, super-stiff spiders that need to break in. Don't play it at full tilt for a couple of days if it makes you feel better but it won't make much difference.
thats what im thinking. the really high powered woofers i would give some time but anything below 1k i dont think really needs any.

I think it comes down to how much power your using, and how tight the suspension is to begin with. I would say the CVR's would be fine to go full tilt no break in.

When a sub is new, the suspension is stiffer than nominal, so cone travel is less. Common sense, right? When cone travel is less, ripping the suspension is less likely due to less stress on the materials. Common sense again, right? So since two simple common sense thoughts make it obvious that you dont need to run your subs at low level when new to keep from damaging them, it baffles me why this topic is debated so regularly.

When a sub is new, the suspension is stiffer than nominal, so cone travel is less. Common sense, right? When cone travel is less, ripping the suspension is less likely due to less stress on the materials. Common sense again, right? So since two simple common sense thoughts make it obvious that you dont need to run your subs at low level when new to keep from damaging them, it baffles me why this topic is debated so regularly.
It's stated on some manufacturers' websites that the woofers require a break in time.

It's stated on some manufacturers' websites that the woofers require a break in time.
They require a break-in period to perform 'nominally'. As in, they wont perform exactly as designed by the manufacturer until their suspension reaches nominal compliance. For some subs, this is a more noticeable change during the break-in period than it is for other subs (due to different spiders being used).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.