Braided wire connecting speaker to enclosure tore apart

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gosu_ryu

CarAudio.com Newbie
I tried soldering it back together but it keeps coming undone, so I over passed the natural terminal hookup and just spliced 16 guage wire to connect the pos speaker side to the enclosure but I am getting a rattling sound now as if the speaker is not secured correctly.

Is the purpose of the braided electrical wire to secure the speaker down? Am I wrong for bypassing the terminal altogether with the 16 guage wire?

Are you talking about the tinsel leads on the subwoofer?
There are positive and negative terminals within the enclosure to the actual subwoofer speaker within the enclosure. The braided wire ( I'm wondering why braided wire is even used in the first place) have become torn apart from the woofer being played at a high level

Post a picture.
In the picture, the right side is still connected to the terminal, the left side is bypassed with regular wire, I'm wondering if the loose 16 guage wire is being vibrated by the woofer enough to cause the rattle

Attachments

• 20201002_142524.jpg
    20201002_142524.jpg
    457.5 KB · Views: 148
Yes. That is a tinsel lead. Solder the wire straight and add some heat shrink, then secure it to the terminal to keep it from smacking the cone. They break from over excursion or clipping.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.