Brahma or SEX?

roop
10+ year member

MN
I've been out of the car audio game for a long time, and I'm trying to play catchup and read up on it again.

I'm lookin to put in a daily sub in my car, but I can't decide what I want. Back when my buddys were heavy into car audio they had some nice systems, RE XXX, Brahma 15's, etc... I liked them.

Mainly I'm afraid the SEX isn't gonna get the SPL I want, the the Brahma isn't going to get the SQL I want lol.

I listen to a lot of metal, so the sub needs to keep up (I'm not sure what to look for on a spec sheet to figure out how "fast" it is) but I throw in the occasional trance and inde hip hop.

Also I have a few bands that have uber low bass, most systems I try to play it in won't even pick up the low notes very well. Again, I don't know what to look for to figure out what I need, but I would assume it would be some box building black magic to straighten it out.

any help would be great. fwiw I'm trying to get a sub and amp for under $450... we'll see how that goes lol.

I've been out of the car audio game for a long time, and I'm trying to play catchup and read up on it again.
I'm lookin to put in a daily sub in my car, but I can't decide what I want. Back when my buddys were heavy into car audio they had some nice systems, RE XXX, Brahma 15's, etc... I liked them.

Mainly I'm afraid the SEX isn't gonna get the SPL I want, the the Brahma isn't going to get the SQL I want lol.

I listen to a lot of metal, so the sub needs to keep up (I'm not sure what to look for on a spec sheet to figure out how "fast" it is) but I throw in the occasional trance and inde hip hop.

Also I have a few bands that have uber low bass, most systems I try to play it in won't even pick up the low notes very well. Again, I don't know what to look for to figure out what I need, but I would assume it would be some box building black magic to straighten it out.

any help would be great. fwiw I'm trying to get a sub and amp for under $450... we'll see how that goes lol.
RE had come a long way as far as the SQ game, they managed to keep it loud and clean. The Brahma is kind of like old school amps, they were good for their time and still are, there is just better out there for less money. RE would be a good choice, so would the Hertz Hi-Energy subs, they play low, get loud and sound good doing it.

Yeah I saw adire is out of business? I saw ebay had some mkiv 12" brahmas for $200ish shipped. I'll check out the Hertz, thanks!

RE had come a long way as far as the SQ game, they managed to keep it loud and clean. The Brahma is kind of like old school amps, they were good for their time and still are, there is just better out there for less money. RE would be a good choice, so would the Hertz Hi-Energy subs, they play low, get loud and sound good doing it.

better? really? Other than split coil tech which IMO still isn't inherently better than xbl^2 I'd say nothing has come to market that outside of the lms ultra and perhaps the RE XXX, I'd include the AV's but that debatable as their xmax is a bit lower despite the nice inductance, the newer GenII shivas and tempests are similar. Beyond that most of the current internet boner companies aren't doing anything that hasn't been done by 100 other manufacturers. No attempts at any new motor techs to lower bl irregularities, only a few companies I can think of are even using shortening rings for inductance.

theres som ppi's on the net for like 120 ( pair) u can get 3 and hit ur price rang( figuring its in the 200 dolor range) but yeah the xxx is an amazing sub and ive heard good things about RE audio's SE subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.