Boxes for extra 8s I have in the garage

Jtyson

I have 5 Skar ZVX8's in my garage that I'm looking to do something with. I know, I know, everyone hates Skar. I get it. But I already have them, so I'm looking to use them. I am looking to build 2 enclosures. I have the tools and skills, just not the knowledge or understanding of how to calculate how I should build the box.

Subs - Manufacturer spec calls for 1.25ft cubed per sub with port area of 14.45" and tuning at 36hz.

Box 1 - 4 subs. So would I just quadruple those numbers for a box? And how do I figure the bracing and design the port? Would be going in an older Escalade and just plan to build a generic rectangular enclosure. Nothing fancy.

Box 2 - 1 sub. Same specs obviously, just need to be able to fit the box in the trunk of an early 2000s Honda Accord.

Thanks in advance!

I would say just go with 4-8's, two on each side and port in the middle. Port down and to the left and right equally. Is that cubic net or gross? 1.25 after sub?

Last edited:
I would say just go with 4-8's, two one each side and port in the middle. Port down and to the left and right equally. Is that cubic net or gross? 1.25 after sub?

To be honest I'm not sure if that is gross or net. I just know that is what it says on the Skar site for recommended box volume.*Edit* - it does say on their site that it doesn't include sub, bracing, or port displacement. So I'd assume net.

So your idea, do you basically mean splitting it into two separate boxes split down the middle? Or do you mean a conjoined port shaped like a T? I wouldn't even begin to know how to go about calculating that.

I had figured all 4 subs in the front and a port on one side toward the back of the box. But I'm here asking for opinions because I know nothing about building boxes properly.

To be honest I'm not sure if that is gross or net. I just know that is what it says on the Skar site for recommended box volume.*Edit* - it does say on their site that it doesn't include sub, bracing, or port displacement. So I'd assume net.

So your idea, do you basically mean splitting it into two separate boxes split down the middle? Or do you mean a conjoined port shaped like a T? I wouldn't even begin to know how to go about calculating that.

I had figured all 4 subs in the front and a port on one side toward the back of the box. But I'm here asking for opinions because I know nothing about building boxes properly.

Joined with a T-shaped port.

Nope, trucks, BMW 5 series, convertible 3-series, Expedition, old school and new school bugs.
You designed and built boxes for all those vehicles?
Why in the world would you join this forum and have someone design a box for your, i mean I'd call it build but considering you had your "installer" install everything idk what to call it, sub I guess?

You designed and built boxes for all those vehicles?
Why in the world would you join this forum and have someone design a box for your, i mean I'd call it build but considering you had your "installer" install everything idk what to call it, sub I guess?

I never said that I designed all of them. I said built them.

No wonder you have so many laying around. Holy cow at 1.25 per 8... that's retarded. Pretty much negates the whole point of using 8s which is limited airspace. I have my 3 F8Ls in 2 cubes net.

And that's net 1.25. Magnet is 156 ounces on those. He's going to need at least 6 cubes to start with. 5 plus the subs displacement is already 5.48. He should just sell them and get 1-15 or 2-12's.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.