Box Tuning

Participant count
  • Participant list
So the lower tuned your box the lower your bass will sound ? always been confused about that
~BassHead in Making~
lower it's tuned deeper it is (u feel it more) higher tuning is louder to your ears. some peeps do like 45hz and lots of prefab box are tuned at 40-50hz thats y we caution buying those #1 job of port is to control sub excursion like a sealed box does shorter the port less sub is controled and if u have box tuned to 45hz and play bass at 35 hz cn cause damage.. i had factory orion xtr ported box with xtrs in it with only 250 per sub with ss filter cones on both subs ripped, later found out box was tuned stupid high so basic any low bass was to much for them.. that y i like 35-38hz it's low enough but not to low loud enough but don't sound nasty.. also u were suppose to pm me those port dimensions today..

lower it's tuned deeper it is (u feel it more) higher tuning is louder to your ears. some peeps do like 45hz and lots of prefab box are tuned at 40-50hz thats y we caution buying those #1 job of port is to control sub excursion like a sealed box does shorter the port less sub is controled and if u have box tuned to 45hz and play bass at 35 hz cn cause damage.. i had factory orion xtr ported box with xtrs in it with only 250 per sub with ss filter cones on both subs ripped, later found out box was tuned stupid high so basic any low bass was to much for them.. that y i like 35-38hz it's low enough but not to low loud enough but don't sound nasty.. also u were suppose to pm me those port dimensions today..
I need to find my tape measure

~BassHead in Making~

I need to find my tape measure
~BassHead in Making~
well man best i can gues without actually seeing it in person is cf is right but u subtract sub displacement ends up something like 5.5 cf ad if and i say if those ports are 6" (i find it hard to believe) u said 6 3/4 i did it as 6" it comes out tuned to 45hz which is high., should be loud just no sq at all.. if the flared ends are 6 3/4 but port is actual 4 or 5" then it'd be tuned ok.. see it's just hard to but a giant dual 15 box thats done right coulda paid someone to make a really nice one for $300 probabaly but peeps told me that too., i got mine cause it's tuned right ports just a tad small..

well man best i can gues without actually seeing it in person is cf is right but u subtract sub displacement ends up something like 5.5 cf ad if and i say if those ports are 6" (i find it hard to believe) u said 6 3/4 i did it as 6" it comes out tuned to 45hz which is high., should be loud just no sq at all.. if the flared ends are 6 3/4 but port is actual 4 or 5" then it'd be tuned ok.. see it's just hard to but a giant dual 15 box thats done right coulda paid someone to make a really nice one for $300 probabaly but peeps told me that too., i got mine cause it's tuned right ports just a tad small..
in that case will a 45 hertz box be heard down the block ? But I believe it could possible be tuned in the 30s just don't know about 32

~BassHead in Making~

in that case will a 45 hertz box be heard down the block ? But I believe it could possible be tuned in the 30s just don't know about 32

~BassHead in Making~
like i said be loud just not sound good enough for most of us.. u need to set ss filter on amp to 40hz until we figure out tuning, i was just looking at it the silver tube is what i need size on not the ends.. if u can find anything that'll fit inside it kinda snug like a flash light or if u have a phone or anything 5-6" that u know if that size u can stick in port and see if it's tight or is there plenty of room.. my new cell phone is 6" tall can't believe that port is that big, if it fits in there past the flare then i'd believe it, if not then we'd know it's not a 6" port.

So the lower tuned your box the lower your bass will sound ? always been confused about that
~BassHead in Making~
Well, no.

I can tune my box for 25hz like my HT sub, but that won't make typical 40-50hz bass "sound lower".

Truly low frequency music isn't all that common, which is why tuning at ~35 is plenty low for about anyone. Plus, tuning (Fb) at 35 doesn't mean you can't play 34, or 30, or 25 for that matter -- it will just start to attenuate below the Fb -- the rate of attenuation depends on the box design and the sub.

Tuning higher typically gets you a spike (ripple) in SPL. Typical HS bass heads think this is great. Getting loud at 50hz is easy and fairly cheap, but it sounds terrible since the result is that there's relatively little output at 60-80hz and almost nothing below 40.

Those of us that like decent sounding low frequency music prefer to tune low. It reduces the ripple, flattening the overall frequency response. Of course it requires a sub that can PLAY in the 30's (it needs to have adequate xmax).

What exactly are you wanting to do?
he don't know except loud...he pm me 100 times i got it straight his big dual 15 box really is tuned right (35hz) i was shocked., 4" round ports idk if thats ideal for 15"s but at least it ain't 45 -50hz

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.