Box tips & tricks

Participant count
  • Participant list

bgowdy
5,000+ posts

Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
Ok im looking for some tips. the org i compete in is a local/daily setup type of org. im gonna do a AQ 18" sub up port back, aero port box w/ 4 4" aeros, and gonna be running 2k - 2.3k. So i could use some input, just thoughts as far as box size, port position as in does it matter the pattern of the aeros(all along bottom of box, one in each corner ext.) let me know what you think, any input helps...

thanks in advanced

The vehicle and relationship from port to panel is much more important than anything included in your post. Also mic position, door and window orientation etc.
ok if you mean between port and hatch i like it to be about 6 or 7 inches, and not sure what you mean by mic pos?

oh lol. its 3 rounds. Average Between the 3 pos...

R1. floor(kick)

R2. window(dash)

R3. headrest

gives you the final DB

but im more worried about the headrest seeing thats the hardest place get a higher db. and in most cases ive seen when your headrest

is high you kick & dash are higher numbers

More port area. Lower tuning is good for the headrest. Port to the driver's side "over by where your jack is stored" is louder in blazers. Learn your peak freq for burps and only burp that. Buy my warhorse that puts out 10k at 2 ohm and burp it at 1 ohm. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif You will begin winning.

More port area. Lower tuning is good for the headrest. Port to the driver's side "over by where your jack is stored" is louder in blazers. Learn your peak freq for burps and only burp that. Buy my warhorse that puts out 10k at 2 ohm and burp it at 1 ohm. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif You will begin winning.
one thing he forgot to mention is he competes on music iirc. so his scored are averaged on music

one thing he forgot to mention is he competes on music iirc. so his scored are averaged on music
Crap. Well everything other than burp freq is important then. If it were me, I would find 2 different songs with 30 seconds of constant bass. 1 song would be ~40 hz. The other would be 50hz or higher. I would build an enclosure with removable ports and tune them to peak at the frequency each song plays at. Then when metering at the headrest play the low frequency song. For the dash and kick play the higher frequency.

ok so fire the port off the side, or port on driver side firing off hatch?

Crap. Well everything other than burp freq is important then. If it were me, I would find 2 different songs with 30 seconds of constant bass. 1 song would be ~40 hz. The other would be 50hz or higher. I would build an enclosure with removable ports and tune them to peak at the frequency each song plays at. Then when metering at the headrest play the low frequency song. For the dash and kick play the higher frequency.
ok thanks... so ima try to find a bigger port (8"). ima make a box with 4" 4s for now though just for sh*ts & giggles, if i put all 4 aeros on the drivers side would it matter.

it would look like this:

l

O O

O O l

---------------bottom

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

that didnt turn out right lol

ok thanks... so ima try to find a bigger port (8"). ima make a box with 4" 4s for now though just for sh*ts & giggles, if i put all 4 aeros on the drivers side would it matter.
it would look like this:

l

O O

O O l

---------------bottom

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

that didnt turn out right lol
That would be fine but you will always be better off with 1 big port vs a bunch of small ports. It seems like you know that already but I just wanted to reinforce that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.