box sounds weird

Beermakesmehoppy
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I made a custom box behind my rearseats for my 02 f250 crew cab and when I have the box in there without the seat it sound like some boston acoustic 6x9s. But when the seat is there resting against the subs it hits pretty hard. The box is not divided, should I divide the box and make it 2 chambers? I am running 2 10" punch z's with a 400 watt amp.

thanks.

Jon

Dividing it won't make much difference. The only things it will help is act as bracing and make the box more rigid (=less flex) and it'll help in the case if one speaker blows, it won't bring the other down with it. I think it sounds much different without the seat because that is a big cab, kind of like listening to the subs on a display wall in the store firing out into open air.

he hit on it.....bracing is PROBABLY the key, what are the dimensions of the box (namley the size of the side up against the seat)? What is the box built out of? Unless that side is huge, I cannot see that tiny amp being able to drive those subs hard enough to flex 3/4 mdf.....so whats it made out of?

You arent running enough power to make the box flex. it sounds good with the seat on simply because it is a small sealed box and with those subs on that amount of power, you need to eliminate as much air space as possible in front of the sub.( the sub fires up, right?) I have found that in trucks, if you want a small sealed box, build a DOWN-FIRING box (like they make some home theater subs) it works great.

if for some reason you made it out of 1/2 " mdf it might flex....3/4 would not....the air space around the cone is not a really sound technical explaination, but if thats your expierience than i will take your word for it.

question popped up again. I had a regular 14 deep by 12 wide and 13 high 10" box sitting on the back seat of my truck. It was hitting pretty good. then when I made the box for behind my seat, I tried it out without the seat first and it sounded like crap. The one sub in the other box sounded better than the two, why? Is it because the behind the seat box is more shallow and wider?

thanks

Jon

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.