Box material and thickness compromises.

Participant count
  • Participant list

nrgy
10+ year member

USA
I know MDF is the most recommended material for box construction, however I can only buy them in large sheets, and I simply don't want that much. Could I just use some Birch or Oak panels to build the box from? These are fairly dense woods, and I don't understand why they wouldn't work just as well.

Also, would anyone advise against using 1/2" wood as opposed to 3/4" for box construction, using an 8" sub with 150w going to it?

Originally posted by nrgy I know MDF is the most recommended material for box construction, however I can only buy them in large sheets, and I simply don't want that much. Could I just use some Birch or Oak panels to build the box from? These are fairly dense woods, and I don't understand why they wouldn't work just as well.

Also, would anyone advise against using 1/2" wood as opposed to 3/4" for box construction, using an 8" sub with 150w going to it?

if ur only using a 8" sub u would be fine w/ 1/2" and i would use oak

a sheet of mdf is cheaper than the exact amoun you need of oak -- look around at the store, mdf is commonly used for shelves as well and comes on 2-4 * 4 foot sheets at most places (ie home depot, lowes ect...)

Originally posted by evo2k3 a sheet of mdf is cheaper than the exact amoun you need of oak -- look around at the store, mdf is commonly used for shelves as well and comes on 2-4 * 4 foot sheets at most places (ie home depot, lowes ect...)
This is what I would do.

But for an 8" with only 150w RMS, the Birch or Oak paneling would work also.

- Steve

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.