box for two alpine type r 15's

Participant count
  • Participant list

wendall
10+ year member

chicago
ok, i got two alpine type-r's running off of a mtx-81000d. its all in the rear of my pt cruiser. can someone provide me with the best dimensions to build my box? it calls for 1.3 - 2.3 ft^3. i am kinda leaning towards the lesser just to conserve some room, but i would also like the best sounding. also, which way do you think would be best for the subs to face? right now i have a generic box that is facing the rear. i turned it up quite loud the other day and noticed that when i stand at the rear of my car it appeared my rear window was flexing a bit. im not ready to blow out my windows, not until it gets warm at least. well any help is greatly appreciated, im just looking for some ideas. i tried to attach a pic of my current set up. the only difference is the amp. i am looking to make it out of 3/4 mdf. thanks again....................wendall

Originally posted by wendall ok, i got two alpine type-r's running off of a mtx-81000d. its all in the rear of my pt cruiser. can someone provide me with the best dimensions to build my box? it calls for 1.3 - 2.3 ft^3. i am kinda leaning towards the lesser just to conserve some room, but i would also like the best sounding. also, which way do you think would be best for the subs to face? right now i have a generic box that is facing the rear. i turned it up quite loud the other day and noticed that when i stand at the rear of my car it appeared my rear window was flexing a bit. im not ready to blow out my windows, not until it gets warm at least. well any help is greatly appreciated, im just looking for some ideas. i tried to attach a pic of my current set up. the only difference is the amp. i am looking to make it out of 3/4 mdf. thanks again....................wendall
I'd suggest going with about 2.5 cu ft sealed. Do you have any sound deadener? You should also look into some of that. Elemental Designs makes good deadener, and is pretty cheap too. There is also a guy on the forum named 'ifandorbuts', who makes Second Skin Damplifier. If you can provide me with the dimensions of your trunk, I'll help you with dimensions with the box.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

i havent done any sound deadner yet. i am waiting for it to warm up. i dont have a garage that i can work in, so all my work is done outside. i was just going to use some roofing material called ice and water shield. i was told that it is the same as dynomat, just without the name. i have easy access to it as well seeing my pops is a rooferman. i dont know the exact dimensions of my storage area. the box i have now pretty much fills it. i think it is about 36w x 18h x 20d. let me know what you are thinking. which way do you think is best for the subs to face?

Originally posted by wendall i havent done any sound deadner yet. i am waiting for it to warm up. i dont have a garage that i can work in, so all my work is done outside. i was just going to use some roofing material called ice and water shield. i was told that it is the same as dynomat, just without the name. i have easy access to it as well seeing my pops is a rooferman. i dont know the exact dimensions of my storage area. the box i have now pretty much fills it. i think it is about 36w x 18h x 20d. let me know what you are thinking. which way do you think is best for the subs to face?
32wx16hx11d= 2.43 cu ft. internal before sub displacement.

Originally posted by wendall thanks man, is there anything i need to know before i start building?
Yeah. Measure twice, cut once, lol. Use plenty of screws, and liquid nails/wood glue. Umm..brace corners. And lastly, plan everything out before. Know what cuts you have to make.

Originally posted by wendall also, should i divide the enclosure on the inside? does this make a difference?
IMO, there is no difference whether you put a separate chamber in a box. Some people do it b/c if one of the subs happens to blow, a separate chamber will keep the other some from blowing too..you can do it if you want.

one more thing. my subs have a mounting depth of 10 7/8". should i go to 32x16x12 then? how much room do i need behind the magnet?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.