Box for 12'' thin alpine type R

Participant count
  • Participant list

JessyBoy86

Senior VIP Member
So, i'm thinking of buying a single shallow mount 12'' for my grand caravan. I don't wanna lose any cargo space so i was thinking of building a sealed MDF box and fix it to the ceiling. The box would be 16''x16''x4.5'', wich is 0.67cuft, as per alpine recommandations, right above the last row of seats in the back. What you guys think about it ? any other recommandation ? I want every accoustic freak of this forum to tell me what they think ! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/ready2go.gif.6557fa3d88b9eaca9c7b8efb9cbd02ed.gif

So, i'm thinking of buying a single shallow mount 12'' for my grand caravan. I don't wanna lose any cargo space so i was thinking of building a sealed MDF box and fix it to the ceiling. The box would be 16''x16''x4.5'', wich is 0.67cuft, as per alpine recommandations, right above the last row of seats in the back. What you guys think about it ? any other recommandation ? I want every accoustic freak of this forum to tell me what they think ! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/ready2go.gif.6557fa3d88b9eaca9c7b8efb9cbd02ed.gif
I have one of exactly to what you refer, and my installer guy is building me a 18"x18"x9" (outside dimensions, 3/4" birch plywood ) sealed enclosure for it, a little bigger than Alpine's recommendation. I mean how bad can it be, yano?

How are you going to affix your's to the ceiling? I was thinking of using RivNuts to attach my cabinet to maybe over the driver's side rear window where I could make use of the window frame to mount the cabinet, but I eventually decided to put it in the middle Stow-n-Go storage compartment since my Grand Caravan does not have the middle row Stow-n-Go seats, just their storage compartments.

John Kuthe...

The roof is to flimsy. You would have to make it a ton more solid which will be a lot of work. You ideally want it in the rear corner
Yep, this is what I think too. Unless you installed some RivNuts in the roof sheet metal, which I doubt you'd want to do. And then just the roof sheet metal would probably still be too flimsy to attach a kinda of heavy cabinet and subwoofer.

John Kuthe...

See if you can do a down fire in the rear corner. You can still use it as a "shelf"
There's a compartment at the rear right, where the jack is stored....i'll check the volume of it. Maybe i could sound dead the back and fit the box in it with some modifications of course...

Well, i might install a standard 12'' sub in a standard MDF box i could easily remove in case i need more space...
Yep, may be a better solution. I know, I have a 2006 Grand Caravan and I don't want to sacrifice any usable cargo/camping/sleeping room if I can avoid it. So I'm putting my subwoofer cabinet in the middle row Stow-n-Go seat storage compartment in the floor. I can prop the lid up and open for maximal sound response and close it for any need to.

John Kuthe...

There's a compartment at the rear right, where the jack is stored....i'll check the volume of it. Maybe i could sound dead the back and fit the box in it with some modifications of course...
I doubt that space will do you any good. I was just into my jack storage space yesterday while my installer guy was running rear speaker wires. Take a look though, maybe you can do something with it.

John Kuthe...

good, thanks.
i think i'll go for it, i'll save on the sub and get more options. The 12'' thin alpine R is a single-coil 600w rms at 4ohm wich is not the best scenario. I don't find a lot of mono amps that give around 1000w rms at 4ohm.
A bridged 2 channel but they are pricey or huge. Like the CT sounds 500.2 on clearance here. $199 I think. It's posted on this site somewhere

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.