Box build for type R 12'' -- current box sounds bad -- help? lol

Participant count
  • Participant list

dewbie
10+ year member

I want to build a new box for my 12'' Type R because the box that it's currently in doesn't sound so great with a lot of music/songs...

It's in something like 2.5 cubes tuned @ 32-35hz... I forget the exact specs of the box, I think it's one of the free box plans from the sticky thread.

It hits lows really well, but i swear anything but extremely low notes it hits like ****!! theres also weird terrible sounds when theres a hard bass kick, i don't know if this is port noise or what? i'm not talking bass kicks from rock music but in hip hop music, it's hard to explain, it just doesn't sound right.

Any suggestions on box size or tuning for a 12'' type r? also any opinions on why it sounds bad with bass kicks, almost sounds distorted but it's not distortion, i think it's port noise, maybe i need to throw a 45 in the corner of the port?

It's a 12'' type r running on 500rms, mrp-m500

It's in a 2003 kia spectra, sub facing trunk lid... the bad sound i get with certain songs is kind of a flappy noise, like something is sitting in front of the port or something...

SUPER annoying, I love SQ bass, so this sub not sounding good is driving me nuts

I'm thinking about trying 2.0cuft @ 35hz

here's my current box

IMG_1172.jpg

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it, if my post is unclear let me know, I can't explain some of these things very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sub could still be pushing them in and out from the pressure though,right? Just a guess on my part.
I've honestly never even thought of that... hm, it might be but I think i've put my head near the port when it's playing and it seems to be coming from the sub or the port, I am probably wrong though I don't know much about this kind of thing. My car is a hunk of **** too so I know it's probably impossible to get good SQ with the sound stage I have

Here's a quick whip up of 2 @ 33hz with 29 sq in port.
2at33-2.jpg

2at33.jpg
thanks, are the free box plans any good? if i were to choose one of the 2cuft @ 35hz, i only ask because it has the cutout sizes ready and everything, makes it pretty simple

Honestly thinking about throwing it in a sealed box again, I used to have it in a TINY sealed box, it sounded ok, I don't think I even broke the sub in fully before I made the ported box that it's in now

I think if I threw it in a bigger sealed box now that the sub is broke in and such it might sound decent, I listen to all types of music

This is why I'm considering the smaller ported box too, hopefully gain some SQ for all types of music if I tune it a little higher... IDK stupid me, should just buy two SQ 12's and seal them. BROKe a$$ college student though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.