Box Build for Twista89

DNick454
10+ year member

Honda + Subs = Rattles :(
Just a simple single-chambered ported box for Twista89. My apologies for the crappy looking pictures and background. I built the box in my basement since it's been rainy the past several days. Believe me, I don't like it any more than you do, especially the dust. I literally blew sawdust out of my nose, was pretty funny/gross:crazy:

Anyways, the build is 3.55 cubic feet (net) including port and sub displacement. This will be housing (2) Alpine Type R D4's. The port is 51 sq. in and is tuned to 35Hz with subs in box.

Outer box dimensions are 38" x 16" x 16"

Buyer requested a raw MDF enclosure but we decided upon painting the port to match the Type R logo to at least make it look somewhat appealing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

The port exit is also flared with a 3/8ths inch round-over. Here's some pics of teh buildz.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Purty cuts

Woodstack.jpg

Box back and sides up, screwed, and glued

Backandsides.jpg

Pre-painting the port walls

PaintedPort2.jpg

PaintedPort.jpg

Port Assembled

PaintedportAssembled.jpg

Moar pix in progress

MOAR PIX!

Front Baffle in place

Twista89001.jpg

NEW TOYZ! Thanks Mazdakid!

Twista89002.jpg

Ran to Menards and picked this up, 33 bucks but meh... I needed it

Twista89003.jpg

Twista89004.jpg

Why you DON'T use shitty router bits

Twista89005.jpg

1st pass with beefy router bit //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Twista89006.jpg

Finished front baffle

Twista89008.jpg

Moar pix uploading //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Box with top on it

Twista89009.jpg

Hit the port edge with the round-over bit and then re-painted it a tad.

Twista89011.jpg

Finished product, just needs a flush-cut router along the edges of the box so it's all even and then a finish sanding. (sorry for the weird bubbles, I think some dust got on the camera)

Twista89010.jpg

Let's figure out a time and place as to when you can pick it up Twista.

Another build log coming soon for another local, a friend, and if I ever get time, a small 6th order bandpass for my home stereo in the house //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

No double baffle? or Flush moun? lol just messin.. :p Nice box man..
Originally, a flush-mount double baffled front was the plan. But due to dimension constraints and nothing too high powered, the idea was scraped to achieve a little more internal volume.

The original design was 3.2 cubes @ 35. With the double baffle taken out, it freed up some volume and lowered the tuning, so I shortened the port and freed up a bit more volume, so it's now 3.55 cubes.

the side opposite of the port...... reason for the overhang? u gona trim that?

Yeah, the box is 99% done, I purposely made the front baffle a tad long. I like to have pieces be a little longer. You can always trim off, you can't add back on. If the piece comes short of the adjacent panel, it looks shitty as hell, so I like to have a bit of overhang when I build it, then hit it with a sander or in this case, since I've got the router now, a flush-cut bit and then I'll sand all sides and get rid of any glue residue on the outside and add the terminal cups. Structurally though, the box is finished.

Box looks great man...I needed a box more for functionality than looks and nick did a great job with the plans. Cant wait to get rid of this sealed prefab crap....

i like it. what kind of paint did u use? Did u prime?
I used some Ace Hardware brand primer then some red enamel spray paint. I just took my time and tried to at least mask it somewhat nicely since the box would be in raw wood form... it would look ghey if there were paint splotches all over it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.