bondo instead of fiberglass

Reit38
10+ year member

Total MindFawk
IA
ok heres the stupid noob question of the day

if i already have my box built could i apply bondo and smooth and sand it all down and get an apperence of fiberglass ( or atleast a nice smooth finish) instead of re-building a complete fiberglass box?

bring on the hate im //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/hide.gif.2d479cfd917eedfe201353b91522ceab.gif

if you wanted you're box to just be smooth i guess you could properly prep your box and apply a layer of body filler and then sand it down smooth.

if you wanted a different shape i wouldn't do such a thing.

well i built my box a few weeks ago and im pretty happy with the way it sounds i just thikn it would look a whole lot nicer being a smooth glossy box instead of a standard painted/carpeted box

Unless you've got a really rough box, you can just use high build primer rather than messing with bondo and all the sanding that it would involve. Another option would be to coat the entire box in fiberglass resin and sand that smooth then prime and paint. Basically unless you are trying to make a box with a curved surface, there is no reson to build it out of fiberglass.

Unless you've got a really rough box, you can just use high build primer rather than messing with bondo and all the sanding that it would involve. Another option would be to coat the entire box in fiberglass resin and sand that smooth then prime and paint. Basically unless you are trying to make a box with a curved surface, there is no reson to build it out of fiberglass.
BRILLIANT!

nG

how would i got about doing the port tho just leave that alone or try and reach in there as far as i can and apply a thin layer??

so i could get a smooth finish like this one

5a019f16.jpg

if i just use bondo i have accsess to alot of it pretty cheap so i was hoping to use it instead of resin

thats what i was gonna recconmend //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif , even down to it havening to be High build...

Some body has done some painting //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

If you are gonna paint it make sure its sanded evenly or u will get waves...

so i could get a smooth finish like this one if i just use bondo i have accsess to alot of it pretty cheap so i was hoping to use it instead of resin
if u want the curves like that, then you need fiberglass

so i could get a smooth finish like this one
5a019f16.jpg

if i just use bondo i have accsess to alot of it pretty cheap so i was hoping to use it instead of resin
boxes with that exact shape are usually done without "fiberglassing" anyways. They put a flush ring on the outside of the box and use filler or kittyhair to get the shape, sand prime, and paint.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.