bmw convertible

uncleroman
10+ year member

het guys i am trying to get some sound in the cab of my 325. i was thinking about using the trunk as an enclosure. a kicker comp inverted in the ski pass through. the trunk seems to be well sealed and the comp is rated for free air. surely there is a bmw some where that has a rockin stereo? either way i have to cut out the ski pass thru?

Hey, I have a 1992 325i sedan. I put in 5.5" kappas in the front and some pioneers in the back, just cause the backs were blown. In the trunk I installed a Infinity Kappa 12" SVC in a bandpass running 280 watts rms. The trunk wall in the BMW definitely handicapps the bass; I took my setup and installed it in my buddy's neon. I thought we were going to DIE. In my car, it's definitely impressive, but not as good as I think it should be. I cut out the pass through, and bass response improved a little. If you have any other questions pertaining to it, I've experienced just about every problem imaginable installing stereos in my car, mostly due to the fact I didn't have all the tools I needed. But, any questions, let me know!

hey man thanks. i cant imagine much sound getting out of that trunk. and the ski pass thru is just about the only chance i see to getting it into the cab. esp with the top down at 80 miles an hour. i bought a 10 " kicker comp today to get it home and find that it is too big to fit in the pass thru. so i will have to do an 8. not my fave but oh well. what did you do about your front speakers? thestock ones are nokia and small and blown. im sure i will be hitting you up. cause this is my first beamer. and every panel i have tried to take out wont budge.

I hope you aren't planning on using the trunk as an enclosure for an 8! that sub is way too small! it needs a separate enclosure. Are you going for maximum thump, or just good solid bottom end? because I have a decent amount of thump at only 280 watts. If you put the sub in a separate enclosure in the trunk and then cut out the pass through, you should have decent low end. If you are going for thump, you'll have to have at least 2 tens. I put 5.5" Infinity Kappas in the front doors, and they sound pretty good. If you plan on running a lot of bass, I would buy a Bass Blocker set for the speakers. it will keep frequencies that are too low from hitting your regular speakers. the front kick panels that sit on top of the speakers are relatively easy to remove, but if you need to run the RCA patch cables and the remote turn on wire from the back of the head unit, I would highly recommend paying a stereo shop to do it. It took me 2 hours just to get enough of the dash off, that I could run a wire puller up through the steering column! If you have a local shop, it's worth it, believe me! Your battery is in the trunk, which will make running the power and ground wires very simple. How much does the top intrude into trunk space when it is in convertible mode? because that will of course affect where you can put your sub box and amp.

yeah i am just ordered the excelon 689 and its built in crossover will take care of the low frequencies to the mids. i have a few ideas. but two 10"s is not gonna happen in that trunk.its 9 3/4" tall in there.so there is where the 8 came from. i would have put a 15 in there if it would fit. i plan on spliceing into the 15 pin cable that runs to the trunk for the disc changer. and there is already a remote wire there to power the changer too.

I would go with a comp vx ported and either faced fowards or rearwards, which ever gets louder. I'm assuming you have the battery in the truck, so it should not be to hard to run the power wire the amp. I would have an 800 w rms amp powering the sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.