Blown subs

joshpoints
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
I have blown three sets of subs in under two years. The first set the surrounds separated from the cone, looked like the glue gave out. The second time The wire that runs from the speaker terminal to the woofer burnt into two pieces and the surround came unglued. The third set the wire from the speaker terminal to the speaker cone gave out again. Is this manufacturing problems or is it my set-up? I have a kenwood 600 watt peak amp running bridged with the wires running + to - and - to +. The subs are jbl speakers and are rated at 250 watts rms each and peak at 1000 watts. THe first and second set, when I turned the speakers up loud the bass would cut out prior to the speaker damage. Help is greatly appreciated. THe sound of the subs is geat. I don't notice any distortion, except on low quality downloaded songs. I tried a lightning audio amp with the same ratings and the speakers didn't sound as good and had a tendency to distort. I tried a cheap amp rated at 1,000 watts and it sounded worse than the lightning audio amp.

What's the verdict?

The cone didn't actually tear, it just separated from the rubber surround at the glue area. But some how it was enough power to melt the wires that run from the speaker terminal to the cone.

i'll say manufacture's problem. in ur first setup, i'll say definitely. 2nd prob wire, n 3rd was just chance. =)

i mean i don't think it could be anything else besides that. unless someone might

Originally posted by audiolife burned wire, melted reheated glue are signs of clippage
How do I prevent clippage? Is it that Kenwood amps aren't any good. I'm using a fosgate capacitor and 8 gauge power wire. Does clippage come from the amp or does it come from my deck? Let me know as I don't want to keep wasting money on blown subs. I do play my music loud, but I don't get any distortion. YOur help is greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by joshpoints How do I prevent clippage? Is it that Kenwood amps aren't any good. I'm using a fosgate capacitor and 8 gauge power wire. Does clippage come from the amp or does it come from my deck? Let me know as I don't want to keep wasting money on blown subs. I do play my music loud, but I don't get any distortion. YOur help is greatly appreciated.
miss matched gain to deck output setting causes a clip (very bad) can generate up to 10 times rated power for nothing more than a puking sound...turn the gains down a tad on the amp

Originally posted by audiolife miss matched gain to deck output setting causes a clip (very bad) can generate up to 10 times rated power for nothing more than a puking sound...turn the gains down a tad on the amp
Thanks a lot man. You're the bomb! Now that you mention that I noticed a difference with the sound when I had it set-up with a different deck when my speakers were getting blown. I've my new deck for a little while now. It sounded really loud, but the bass had a different sound. With the new deck it sounds like a more accurate sound. Sorry but if I could ask you one more question. How do I know when the gain and deck output are matched? Is this dependent on the Preamp output voltage on the deck? I noticed my old deck didn't even have a rating, and my new deck has a 5 volt preamp output for the subs.

Originally posted by audiolife you got it..you be on right track
You are the wise man. You shall now have the nickname the wiseman. Finally I have found out what is causing my speakers to blow. Do you think the 600 watt peak, kenwood amp is enough to power the two jbl subs they are rated at 250 rms, 1,000 peak? This will be the last question.

Do you think the 600 watt peak, kenwood amp is enough to power the two jbl subs they are rated at 250 rms, 1,000 peak?
i no this question isnt for me but im gonna comment... i think an jbl 600.1 would do real good there only 180 bucks but if u dont got ne money yea that amp will do but kenwood amps arnt the best amps from the experience ive had with them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.