Blown speaker replacement advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gotyoulooking

CarAudio.com Recruit
NYC
Went out last night and a friend asked for keys of truck to warm up inside. I was waiting to close my tab and heard the music and didn’t think anything of it and waited like 5 mins to pay. I come out and it wasn’t too loud but when I get in the truck I smelled it and knew the front door speakers where toast. Thank god I had the rears and subs set low but I did set the fronts a lil bit hot but good at 75% of HU volume. Asked and she said she cranked it up to max, smh. So now I’m looking to replace the front speakers. In the meantime I moved both rear speakers to the front. They where 4 Polk BD 652 coaxial hooked to a RF Punch 800.4 at 4ohms. Any speakers recommendations to go well with the amp. 2001 Jeep Cherokee without the infinity. It takes 5.25 or 6.5. $150 max per speaker pls

Went out last night and a friend asked for keys of truck to warm up inside. I was waiting to close my tab and heard the music and didn’t think anything of it and waited like 5 mins to pay. I come out and it wasn’t too loud but when I get in the truck I smelled it and knew the front door speakers where toast. Thank god I had the rears and subs set low but I did set the fronts a lil bit hot but good at 75% of HU volume. Asked and she said she cranked it up to max, smh. So now I’m looking to replace the front speakers. In the meantime I moved both rear speakers to the front. They where 4 Polk BD 652 coaxial hooked to a RF Punch 800.4 at 4ohms. Any speakers recommendations to go well with the amp. 2001 Jeep Cherokee without the infinity. It takes 5.25 or 6.5. $150 max per speaker pls
im not the biggest fan of JL, but thats only because of the ford/chevy thing. They make great stuff, i just hate admitting it. $190 for the pair https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C2600X/JL-Audio-C2-600X.html

you have tons of power on tap, so youre not gonna be short for choice, but those JLs should sound great with the power reserves you have in that class a/b monster

Last edited by a moderator:
im not the biggest fan of JL, but thats only because of the ford/chevy thing. They make great stuff, i just hate admitting it. $190 for the pair https://www.crutchfield.com/p_136C2600X/JL-Audio-C2-600X.html

you have tons of power on tap, so youre not gonna be short for choice, but those JLs should sound great with the power reserves you have in that class a/b monster
Those look like they might work. hopefully they get loud enough that next time noone needs to crank to vol to max lol.

Those look like they might work. hopefully they get loud enough that next time noone needs to crank to vol to max lol.
yeah,  im way too paranoid to allow hardly anyone with the inclination to crank it up at the helm of my audio system unsupervised. you should be able to turn the gain down on your 4 channel a bit. lots of reserve power in that thing for full range speakers

yeah,  im way too paranoid to allow hardly anyone with the inclination to crank it up at the helm of my audio system unsupervised. you should be able to turn the gain down on your 4 channel a bit. lots of reserve power in that thing for full range speakers
I set it with a multimeter to 20 but this thing must put out way more than 100 rms at the 4ohm, just thankful I set the rears to 15 to keep soundstage up front and they where spared. looking at the Liumy LM2001 Oscilloscope multi-meter combo since its affordable at like $50 for setting gains more accurately.

I set it with a multimeter to 20 but this thing must put out way more than 100 rms at the 4ohm, just thankful I set the rears to 15 to keep soundstage up front and they where spared. looking at the Liumy LM2001 Oscilloscope multi-meter combo since its affordable at like $50 for setting gains more accurately.
most of us have to worry about setting the gains properly to avoid clipping because of setting them too high. you have a very opposite problem LoL

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.