BIG 3 Q. my power wire is hooked to fuse box., can i run bigger wire from alt to it?

Participant count
  • Participant list

BOOMINGRANDPA
5,000+ posts

WOLFRAM FTW
NC
when i had amp installed maybe 12 yrs ago they ran power wire to nut on fuse box (under hood)not battery (04 grand prix).. i'm looking at it to see what all i need to do big 3 upgrade.. i noticed wire from alt goes to battery but has a "y" off to the fuse box so it's basicly just running straight from alt to fuse box and amp wire is also running from there., so i think i should be able to just run bigger wire from alt to same nut on fuse box my amp is running from and amp with have almost direct line to alt but also have battery power (cause i'm going to leave factory wire there too) and won't have to hook it to battery which makes it easier and they wires i was going to get would reach (4ft) if not i'd have to get longer wire to run to batt., and ground wire is only like 2ft from batt so no problem there except batt terminals are stupid (may have to change it).. just wanted to know if anyone had seen or done this

so i don't have to run wire from alt to battery?, i can just run straight to fuse box where amp is ran from? did u change battery terminals?, how did u connect to negative? man that will allow me to order wires tomorrow.., now just gotta find block ground.. weird thing since i bragged about turning box around made it louder, when i left house it wasn't as loud as in it's louder when car is in park at idle wtf is that?, wonder if new wires will help..

so i don't have to run wire from alt to battery?, i can just run straight to fuse box where amp is ran from? did u change battery terminals?, how did u connect to negative? man that will allow me to order wires tomorrow.., now just gotta find block ground.. weird thing since i bragged about turning box around made it louder, when i left house it wasn't as loud as in it's louder when car is in park at idle wtf is that?, wonder if new wires will help..
Could be, if the RPM of the engine/alternator affects your sub's volume. I don't think that should happen. Maybe you should use a higher output alternator too.

John Kuthe...

(MAYBE U SHOULD BUY SOME ALPINE STUFF DUDE? LOL) I have good volts to amp 14.9 idle.. i'm gonna have my wife drive while i'm in back seat and see if volts drop when moving (not like i was running ac or nothing) u would think alt makes more volts at 50 mph than idle..

read my reply to you 1st reply please
Did.

I have a battery weld cable to the outpost on the fusebox like you were saying/asking about. Have the same thing from my amp power pos to it as well.

When I bought my Tahoe, the previous owner had someone install a small wire from it to the amp that I still have today and just been using that same spot ever since. Hasn't caused any problems/issues for me.

Did.
I have a battery weld cable to the outpost on the fusebox like you were saying/asking about. Have the same thing from my amp power pos to it as well.

When I bought my Tahoe, the previous owner had someone install a small wire from it to the amp that I still have today and just been using that same spot ever since. Hasn't caused any problems/issues for me.
what did u do for batt ground terminal? Mine isn't like old terminals it's 3" long not sure the nut on it can come off, thought about drilling hole in it adding screw..

Thanks., great i'll order wire kit maybe i can get it done next week.. as for my sub seeming to be louder at idle it's possible wires will help but also possible new amp has 100 more watts or so at 2 ohm than last had at 8ohms and well it's an old sub could be dying.. may get $95 ab or b stock E (if shipping aint bad) if not may just get pioneer 3003 600rms 14mm xmax great reviews and had good luck with them., i was just hoping i could sell sub to buy another..

what did u do for batt ground terminal? Mine isn't like old terminals it's 3" long not sure the nut on it can come off, thought about drilling hole in it adding screw.. Thanks., great i'll order wire kit maybe i can get it done next week.. as for my sub seeming to be louder at idle it's possible wires will help but also possible new amp has 100 more watts or so at 2 ohm than last had at 8ohms and well it's an old sub could be dying.. may get $95 ab or b stock E (if shipping aint bad) if not may just get pioneer 3003 600rms 14mm xmax great reviews and had good luck with them., i was just hoping i could sell sub to buy another..

Have some old MTX battery terminals that I simply used. Not sure what you mean by battery ground terminal.

I still gotta do the big 3 properly on it. It's on my to do list. I got wiring and lug nuts already to go.

i have a 97-03 grand prix. 300amp JS alt, for my big 3 i left the fuse box + stock. no need to upgrade that. ran + wire from front battery to rear bat and the same with a - run but i grounded it to the alt bolt.

looks at exo on youtube when he did big 3 upgrade for the impala

(MAYBE U SHOULD BUY SOME ALPINE STUFF DUDE? LOL) I have good volts to amp 14.9 idle.. i'm gonna have my wife drive while i'm in back seat and see if volts drop when moving (not like i was running ac or nothing) u would think alt makes more volts at 50 mph than idle..
Probably, amperes too! That's what your alternator does, converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. The more energy in the more energy out with limiting circuits designed into the alternator usually so it does not blow up your battery!

John Kuthe...

Have some old MTX battery terminals that I simply used. Not sure what you mean by battery ground terminal.
I still gotta do the big 3 properly on it. It's on my to do list. I got wiring and lug nuts already to go.
i mean the neg batt terminal, don't think i can remove nut on it like i could old type and didn't wanta replace it there's not enough give in the factory wire to cut terminal off and add new one and keep factory wire (which i'm gonna keep factory stuff) besdes the weird terminals most big 3 kits have 4ft wires if i run wire from alt to battery probably need 6 feet for it to reach and still not sure what to do about terminal (i'll look at it again today) if wire from alt has 3" of give i'd just cut and put cheap terminal on it but wire is short because it's close to supercharger belt..

Probably, amperes too! That's what your alternator does, converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. The more energy in the more energy out with limiting circuits designed into the alternator usually so it does not blow up your battery!
John Kuthe...
yeah but i have a voltage booster on alt that disables some of the diodes (i was told) that minimize the power regulation and allows more out thats y i have 14.7-14.9v at amp.. I'm gonna test it at 55 mph today.. could also be pulley or ps pump is going and when it drive it starting to use more power up.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

thanks.. he has side post battery i don't 1 my problems is weird factory top post battery terminals and he ran wire from batt to fuse box but didn't show it.. i want to leave my factory power wires where they are and just add another wire and it would have to be longer than comes with big 3 kits to run to battery.. so i'm back to not sure what to do..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.