Big 3 PLUS Cap .....

Bigokie

Oklahoma
Great forum. Been lurking and posted about my original a/d/s amp(no replies but its all good). I have a problem(problems). My headlights dim when my one and only mono sub amp hits "hard". I have done the Big 3(and its actually 4 because I have OCD!!!) and installed a 1.5 farad cap. Didnt help. I sent the cap back. For every good review and testimony about caps there are 2 that say they are worthless. I am not saying one way or another if they work, I just know it didnt help me. After I removed it, there was no difference.

I used 1/0 welding cable and soldered my lugs. I work shift work and havent had a chance to have my alt and batt tested, hopefully do that today. Depending on how they check out, I dont want to spend the money on a 250 amp alt. My 2007 NBS Siverado came with a 145 amp alt and I would think that is enough. I am going to put another amp in this weekend but its for my door speakers(so it shouldnt take alot to run).

Any ideas? Thoughts to think about after I have batt and alt checked?

Thanks

Okie

What amp are you currently running? What 4-channel will you add? To answer your question, a group AGM should help with the dimming lights.

JBL GTO-501. I am adding a Rockford R300X4. I appreciate the answers. Measure the voltages at the amp? When I had the cap installed(right before the amp) it did have a digital meter...I dont know how accurate it was. I think the lowest I remember was 11.4 I know this is low. I did notice this morning coming home from work, JUST applying the breaks made my lights dim just for a very quick "blink"....they didnt dim and stay dimmed. My hu was turned down also. I guess the alt and batt check is going to tell alot

JBL GTO-501. I am adding a Rockford R300X4. I appreciate the answers. Measure the voltages at the amp? When I had the cap installed(right before the amp) it did have a digital meter...I dont know how accurate it was. I think the lowest I remember was 11.4 I know this is low. I did notice this morning coming home from work, JUST applying the breaks made my lights dim just for a very quick "blink"....they didnt dim and stay dimmed. My hu was turned down also. I guess the alt and batt check is going to tell alot
If you have a UNIBODY vehicle ...run an equivalent Ground lead to your main battery as your power wire..ex. 4g power use a 4ga ground ...because unibodies have weaker grounding points due to lack of not having a solid frame ....

It sure wouldn't hurt to go over all of your grounds making sure they have good tight connection on bare metal surface... You def should also have your battery checked that amp shouldn't cause lights to dim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you thinking this could be a possible smoking gun? I followed the recommeded power size for the amp(8ga) and that seems small for this amp. All 3 of my grounds in the engine compartment are 1/0

Ok, I sure will. I did the "big3" because of the dimming and its still there, so it shouldnt be the 1/0. Ill check the amp. I might have taken a short cut not thinking it was cutting my own throat. Thx

Mainstream caps are garbage. Maxwell and XS caps are great, but expensive.

My 2007 Silverado's stock alt doesn't charge at a consistent voltage every time. It ranged from 12.9v to 15.0v depending on the day. Some times I'll be driving and my digital gauge reads 12.9v. I'll stop to get gas or something else quick, and it'll charge at 14.4v or higher when I start it back up. No idea why

Mainstream caps are garbage. Maxwell and XS caps are great, but expensive.
My 2007 Silverado's stock alt doesn't charge at a consistent voltage every time. It ranged from 12.9v to 15.0v depending on the day. Some times I'll be driving and my digital gauge reads 12.9v. I'll stop to get gas or something else quick, and it'll charge at 14.4v or higher when I start it back up. No idea why

man....that sounds exactly like mine!!! I am ready to replace it even its good. Do you have a crew cab?

man....that sounds exactly like mine!!! I am ready to replace it even its good. Do you have a crew cab?
Yes, crew cab

IMG_20150515_114445_417_zpsh5hptxyk.jpg

Sorry....I just clicked your link on your trk......wow....when I get a chance I will read the entire post on your trk
There's a lot of bullshtting on my build log too. That's why it ended up being so long.

I'll make an uninterrupted log with all the pics soon

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.