Big 3 or Big 4

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rocky213
10+ year member

South FL
everybody talks about big 3, but with me its more like big 4, i have the engine block to chassis, the neg batt to chassis, the neg alt to battery, and the pos alt to battery...do you guys think thats too many grounds?..

whats your definition of poorly made..for the batt neg to chassis i used the ground where the factory wire was just upgraded it to 0 gauge..its right next to the battery only 1 foot of ground wire was used for that..and i did not solder them just crimp..and both the batt neg and engine block are on the same ground..just wondering if its good

Whether the extra grounds have any practical or measurable effect is up to debate. If you have the wire, it can't hurt and will certainly make your foundation stronger.

Whether the extra grounds have any practical or measurable effect is up to debate. If you have the wire, it can't hurt and will certainly make your foundation stronger.
I'll say that it does...I had a very minor alternator whine that I could not get rid of but did have the space for an extra battery up under the hood ('08 Silverado)...so I added the extra battery (have 2 Kinetik HC2000's), wired them in parallel and grounded one to one side of the engine block and the frame, the other to the other side of the engine block and the other side of the frame (frame grounding point was front shock bolt for both)...after I did that, no alternator whine or light dimming...I think it helps.

i think it helps just had to get a new batt terminal for the neg with so many 0 gauge going in to it, but it sounds better, it even hits different feels like their much less stress on the system..

the alt grounds through the engine block and transmission housing. you want your ground wire as short as possible - whatever path that is. if the tranny is closest - use that, if the block, use that, if the alt bracket, use that.

i NEVER ground on a bolt that is related to suspension or has a torque setting. Make sure to take engine movement into account and always use high-temp split loom or heat shrink to protect your wires. secure them as often as possible, just like factory.

when you are done, it should look like a factory install, everything in loom and well secured.

i have the engine ground and alternator ground from the alternator itself (mechman 270)..my engine ground was going in the battery neg but i put it to the chassis (same place where the battery neg is going to) is that ok or should i hook it back to the battery?..i also have the alt neg going to the battery..so many wires lol

the alt grounds through the engine block and transmission housing. you want your ground wire as short as possible - whatever path that is. if the tranny is closest - use that, if the block, use that, if the alt bracket, use that.
i NEVER ground on a bolt that is related to suspension or has a torque setting. Make sure to take engine movement into account and always use high-temp split loom or heat shrink to protect your wires. secure them as often as possible, just like factory.

when you are done, it should look like a factory install, everything in loom and well secured.
It's one of three...hasn't budged since I did this over a year ago...it's cool. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

It's one of three...hasn't budged since I did this over a year ago...it's cool. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif
just because it can be done doesn't make it a good idea. it compromises the integrity of the connection, especially with some of the soft metal ring terminals being sold.

just because it can be done doesn't make it a good idea. it compromises the integrity of the connection, especially with some of the soft metal ring terminals being sold.
I often swin against the tide bro, it's how I roll...don't worry, it's all good. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

I will offer a disclaimer tho if it will settle your troubled mind:

Note:

I'm a professional, don't try this at home

lmao. nice.

i'm just cautious about recommending something that people can fawk up and kill themself or someone else. or destroy the car. some of these kids have no business taking suspension bolts off because they are too stupid to understand torque settings. know what i mean?

i will also say "do what i say, not what i DO". :0

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.