Big 3 Failure/massive voltage drop/tips?

do the cheap fix with the alternator swap that was recommended. There's a big difference from an alt that does legit power vs a horribly anemic one.
Yeah im looking into that now, thanks

that just means your straining your alt...
adding battery ant going to GIVE YOU POWER ( or more power ) it only stores it .
Adding a battery in this situation will no doubt help, because he is dropping below a battery's resting voltage.

Adding a battery in this situation will no doubt help, because he is dropping below a battery's resting voltage.
i see what your saying and i know how it works.

but if his alt. cant support 1 battery do you think its going to handle 2 ?? not..

he needs to get an alt. first, then he can add another battery.

im all for adding batterys i have 8 total......

but if his alt cant keep 1 battery charged its not going to keep 2 charged. he will fry that alt in a hart beat.

and was just thinking are you guys telling me that if he adds another battery he will be fine right ?????? thats the way it sounds...

if he was to get a battery he MAY be a few points higher on voltage but what does a system do... it **** power so if your alt cant supply that, his voltage will still drop.

so op you need to get an alt...... adding a battery now will just be a little bitty band ad.

i see what your saying and i know how it works.
but if his alt. cant support 1 battery do you think its going to handle 2 ?? not..

he needs to get an alt. first, then he can add another battery.

im all for adding batterys i have 8 total......

but if his alt cant keep 1 battery charged its not going to keep 2 charged. he will fry that alt in a hart beat.

and was just thinking are you guys telling me that if he adds another battery he will be fine right ?????? thats the way it sounds...

if he was to get a battery he MAY be a few points higher on voltage but what does a system do... it **** power so if your alt cant supply that, his voltage will still drop.

so op you need to get an alt...... adding a battery now will just be a little bitty band ad.
So your saying that if I took a 1000rms amp and put it on a big bank of charged batteries (like 7-8 group 31s) with no external charging (alt or battery charger) it wouldn't work? That seems to be your logic. And I feel I must say that I am in no way trying to make someone look bad or start some huge argument cause I know things can come off sounding way wrong over the internet. Just trying to prove a point and help the OP. In this case he by no means has to have an aftermarket high output alternator. The AD244 swap and adding a second large battery will stop any harmful voltage drop.

Adding a battery will give you more power. Like you said it stores energy. Its not like a cap where it releases the majority of its stored power instantly. Adding batteries will always help to some extent

do the cheap fix with the alternator swap that was recommended. There's a big difference from an alt that does legit power vs a horribly anemic one.
K guys, this is what im looking it.

Chevy Suburban New Alternator High Amp 96 97 98 99 5 7L | eBay

Sure, itll help. But with its low.price, am I being fooled? This.should be a direct fit. Im not sure Im capable of doing the ad244 mod, so. Please let me know your opinions.

i dont know.... high output alts are not cheap .. so i would keep looking.

whats your trucks info ??

what your,, type,, engine size,,

ill look around but need all the info..

So your saying that if I took a 1000rms amp and put it on a big bank of charged batteries (like 7-8 group 31s) with no external charging (alt or battery charger) it wouldn't work? That seems to be your logic. And I feel I must say that I am in no way trying to make someone look bad or start some huge argument cause I know things can come off sounding way wrong over the internet. Just trying to prove a point and help the OP. In this case he by no means has to have an aftermarket high output alternator. The AD244 swap and adding a second large battery will stop any harmful voltage drop.
when did i say battery will not run amps or what ever????????????????????????

no kidding it will work... but for how long...........??? ..............

i dont think you get it. you thing all you needs is to add more batterys......

how is he going to charge 2 batterys when his truck cant keep 1 battery charged????

i dont know.... high output alts are not cheap .. so i would keep looking.
whats your trucks info ??

what your,, type,, engine size,,

ill look around but need all the info..

I have a 98 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7L 350. I believe stock alt is just 105 amps. If i get lucky and can find one thats not super expensive, ill get it, or at a parts store chain and can make.payments thru my work (car dealership)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I'm running 1500 RMS in my 97 k1500 bbut my truck has dual battery trays so iv got 1800watt kinetic and my 1200 CCA truck battery my drops go to 12.5 and no further unless I listen loude for road trips best thing will be h.o. alt but battery could not hurt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.