Big 3 - Battery Terminal

Participant count
  • Participant list

AlterEgo99
5,000+ posts

Streaming consciousness
Domie Homie
OK, so I'm putting together my list of stuff I need for the "Big 3" upgrade, you know, wire, terminals, fuse holder, BIG ANL fuse, etc. Now I have a minor dilemma.

Take a look at the picture. GM, in their infinite wisdom, has blessed me and my '08 Silverado with the biggest, bulkiest **** battery terminal I have ever encountered. And to make matters worse, the battery is one that has no sideposts.

Anyone got any suggestions on a terminal I can use to connect my "Big 3" battery/alternator wire to the positive battery post? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

Yes, I've done the Google thing and coming up bupkus...I think I will need to get a bit creative for this one. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Just go to the stud on there,
If not cut off the wires, run a new one to the fuse box and put an end on the one for the starter.
Only about 1/8" of the post is available, and there are already two 0/1 gauge wires crimped into that terminal, so I really don't want to cut it.

If I could extend the post somehow or better yet, if there was a ring terminal large enough to fit over the post, I could simply place that ring terminal under the existing terminal. I just have not been able to locate a 0/1 gauge ring terminal where the ring diameter is 3/4" or the diameter of the battery post. That would be ideal.

I know it's been a long weekend so figured I'd "bump" this again to get some input from those of you who may have been partying all weekend. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I used these way back when to install my big-3...

They have 3 posts you can connect up to #1/0 wire

DSCN0747.jpg

Yeah, there are 2 4/2 gauge wires crimped into the OEM terminal now so a 3 terminal 0 gauge will definitely do the trick. Thanks guys! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/toast.gif.bc0657bf54b9ee653b6438524461341e.gif

I used these way back when to install my big-3...They have 3 posts you can connect up to #1/0 wire

DSCN0747.jpg
Your pic inspired me! Just placed my order with knukonceptz.com!

About the only item I needed to order from a different source was my ANL fuse as I wanted to match the fuse presently on the battery/alternator line. Not too expensive...the install goes on...and on...and on! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Optima 34/78 fits perfect on both sides.
I'd suggest buying a pair of them and be done.
Better than a Kinetik HC1800? What about an isolator with two batts?

I was looking at running two batts awhile back and was looking at this:

http://www.hellroaring.com/bic75300.php

Spent a lot of time e-mailing the rep and came up with a pretty good solution using their isolator, but then I figured, for a system that has at present max 1000W RMS total, the "Big 3" and possibly a new battery would be the cheaper course to start.

Better than a Kinetik HC1800? What about an isolator with two batts?
I was looking at running two batts awhile back and was looking at this:

http://www.hellroaring.com/bic75300.php

Spent a lot of time e-mailing the rep and came up with a pretty good solution using their isolator, but then I figured, for a system that has at present max 1000W RMS total, the "Big 3" and possibly a new battery would be the cheaper course to start.
I couldn't tell you if one is better than the other.

I've ran several optima's in several cars and have had excellent results with all of them. I'm gonna upload a pic for ya to see mine.

In my 07 nbs silverado I cut the factory terminals and replaced them with the Knu compression terminals.

I've read on here there is mixed reviews on them. I think the people having problems don't know how to use a compression terminal.

As far as isolators go I don't really know anything about them.

I had a 99 firebird with a 105A alt. Did 2 steps of the big 3(alt to +, and batt to frame) and put an optima in it and had no dimming problems nor voltage drops on 1200W rms.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.