Better to have a separator between two subs in a sealed box???

Participant count
  • Participant list

ATN2DETAILING
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
BURBANK
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with separators between two subs in a sealed or ported enclosure...

IS IT BETTER OR LOUDER WITHOUT THE SEPARATOR?

I found by older box to be a bit louder with the subs sharing a common space and working together, as opposed to each of them having their own sealed space. I don't know if it was my imagination or if there's some kind of dynamics that I'm not aware that makes them play better in tangent in the same space...? If you know please let me know.

I also wanted to know if the same holds true for a ported enclosure.

Thanks in advance!

subs that share the same airspace tend to "see" more than 1/2 of the volume. IIRC about 2/3rds. Also, with shared airspace the excursion will decrease as each sub fights the other.

i always prefer separate chambers when sealed. keeps things simple and consistent.

Actually spoke with the audio engineers at JBL he said it does help and the science behind has to do with stereo phonics ... The two working in tandem in the same space actually puts out a little more DB (how much more he didn't say)...

2012-01-24_13-40-18_482.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.