Better quality android headunits?

Participant count
  • Participant list

m477430m

CarAudio.com Newbie
Canada
Hi all, sorry if this has already been discussed. I did a quick search looking for android head units on the forums and found stuff about mostly android auto. But I was wondering whether anyone has anyone had any luck with good quality all android head units that would compare in all aspects to the bigger brands such as Kenwood, Sony, Alpine, Pioneer, etc. To be specific, I'd like to run the torque app or something similar, have gps, probably some type of support for android auto, be able to fit in a single din, a well lit touchscreen display and all the audio bells and whistles I'd get from a bigger name brand head unit. I understand that's a long list that a lot of head units probably won't support. I've also looked at using a raspberry pi or other micro pcs with a 7" touch screen and possibly a head unit for the rcas and sound processing type stuff? But that seems like a headache route that may not even be any better, except for the possible hardware (buttons and volume knobs) and software customization (like multiple windows, torque or otherwise and gps at the same time). To be clear I have looked at buying brand name head units, but as far as I know Maestro doesn't support my 99 Audi A4 and android auto can't run 3rd party apps (I believe).
Any suggestions you guys have will be much appreciated, cheers.

So funny you mentioned Android head units

The general consensus is that the Android Headunit OWN the big maker in SQ due to digital out from the HU (Joying specifically). In the US, short of the Sony RSX-GS9, there are not a lot of HU with digital out which is necessary for full bit bandwidth of high resolution lossless audio (32/384) and/or DSD512. Now with that said, there are some caveats, like music does not pickup automatically where last played. FM/AM reception is lackluster and not all audio is transmitted via Digital (like navigation).

This reminds me of Pioneer and their choices in the mid 90's. Their USA head units where OK but where toys when compared to their ODR line (before Carrozeria was a thing). That line never came to the US except through grey market. Interesting enough, Alpine does have a high rez player but again (repeat) not available to the US consumer directly... UTX-A08 and UTX-M09. Instead, Alpine wants you to purchase their new F#1 Status package that comes with a Astrell & Krell DAP.

Ironically some of the best DAP (Digital Audio Players) which are Android based, are from the like of IBasso and iRiver (Astrell & Krell) have some phenomenal high resolution playback capabilities that the big CES cannot and will not match.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...