+++ Better Final Load .5 ohm or 2 ohm+++

TahoeRiddinHigh
10+ year member

Hey I'm going to be running 2 12" Sundown Audio Sa with SPL coils pushing 1200 rms each they can go both ways 2 ohm or .5 what's better final load and what's the difference between the two?

Box will be tuned at 34 Hz

Got a good idea for 2 ohm amp at 2500 watts (kicker zx)

Just want to no some Good .5 ohm final load amps

So i can make my choice

Thanks

TRH

As long as the amp can do the power @ the ohm load and is stable at it, its fine. If the kicker does the rated power(it will) then itll be fine.

i think people who run .5 is to get the most power out of their amps(if its stable down to .5). the resistor,(subwoofer in this case) draws current in the circuit. P = IV, so power(2500w) counts on the current your subs draw X 14.4V, or whatever voltage you are at. 2500w is 2500w, don't matter if you get there with .5ohm or 2ohms. but be sure your electrical is good enough to support that power

stuff can go bad in a hurry running at .5 you MUST have good electrical. I'm sure people on here will back me up.
If you have an amp that will do 2500 @ .5 or 2500 @ 2ohms, it doesnt matter. You need to have good electrical either way.

"must have good electrical for .5" is because we are referring to 1ohm stable amps in that case. since we are already stressing the amp, any problem will be greatly amplified

in this case, assuming there is a .5 stable amp that puts out 2500 and the kicker amp that does 2500 @ 2, you will need the same electrical for each one, regardless of what it is.

It's just that kicker ZX amps are designed to do their power @ 2ohms instead of 1 like most normal monos (im assuming this is because of wingnuts ******* up impedences?)

Ok but what is the reason people run at .5 there has to be pro and cons
Running at .5 is sketchy as hell. All things being equal I'd run the kicker at 2 ohms over most of the common Korean and Chinese stuff at .5

Amps are much LESS efficient at .5 ohm and it is very stressful on semiconductors.

Running at .5 is sketchy as hell. All things being equal I'd run the kicker at 2 ohms over most of the common Korean and Chinese stuff at .5
Amps are much LESS efficient at .5 ohm and it is very stressful on semiconductors.
what he said^

With the sheer number of available subwoofer combinations, it would make much more sense to choose the amplification and beef up the electrical accordingly. Then toss a dart at a 1kw sub, as there are so many available. There are a few reliable amps that will handle 1/2 ohm loads, but you must realize that operating those amps outside of their rated impedance can and will alter other specs as well...efficiency may or may not improve(usually it suffers), THD suffers, S/N suffers and most importantly, the operating voltage range can suffer as well. Where you might get away with running an amp at 1 ohm between 10 and 14v, dropping to .5 may only be reliably achieved between 12.5 and 14.4v, the amp might smoke at 11.9v on a starved electrical system at .5 ohm. It is always best to achieve desired power levels at the highest loads possible..ultimately, you should seek 2500w at 4 ohms for the best possible sq and reliability from the amplifier

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.