Best way to start a new system?

For a modest system that is focused on SQ, you do not need a new alt. You do not need to add batteries. You do not need a kW or more on the subs.

Decide what features you want in the HU and pick one. Unless you want Bluetooth and nav and so on, that should run you around $3-400 for a good one. Next pick your front speakers. Don't worry about rears, you can add them later if you decide that you need them. SSA is selling Bravox two-way components for $195 and lower. They get great reviews and that is a great price. Decide if you want 1 sub or two based on how much space you're willing to use. I'd stick with lower powered subs so you're not losing out on efficiency by trying to move a huge coil and stiff suspension. Don't get me wrong, some of the higher power handling subs will sound great on a really small amount of power but in a sealed box you'd give up a LOT of output with those. With your budget I'd suggest a single 12. I know that you said you liked 10s but there's nothing that a 10 can do that a 12 can't and the 12 will give you more output with the same power and a single 12 takes up less space than a pair of 10s. Finally decide how to power it all. 50-100w is plenty for the front stage and 300-500 is plenty for the sub. Something like a Sundown 100.4 would be able to run he whole system and make for simple and inexpensive wiring. Single 4ga run from the battery to the amp. Budget $100 or so for installation stuff like wire (power and speaker) and connectors and you're there.

I was looking at some HU's and like the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X794. It has pretty much everything I want...sleek, unassuming design, 6 channel outs @ 4 volts, USB input, steering wheel control compatible, it's a Kenwood which I always liked, and it is not too much money at $220. If this one is not so good please let me know...I have been away from this stuff a long time so I am going on memory as to what is good equipment and what is not. There's some new names too I am not familiar with that I am still learning about.

Step 1 is don't listen to rumple4skin, I hope he's on LSD at the VERY least.

If you primary concern is SQ, I'd go with the Alpine CDA-117, yes I'm being biased but I did my fair share of research.

SQ is a lot more expensive than SPL, so a $1000 wont cut it. I wouldn't worry about a sub until you have the money laying around. Get the CDA-117 and an Arc Audio or Zapco amp, or something similar, then ask around for speakers. The Alpine Type-X Pros I know are one of the highest rated cheap SQ component sets but their is plenty of other nice speakers, specifically DLS, Rainbow, Focal... the list goes on.

SQ is a lot more expensive than SPL, so a $1000 wont cut it. I wouldn't worry about a sub until you have the money laying around.
I completely disagree on both points. Competition SQ might be expensive but getting an excellent sounding system for personal enjoyment doesn't have to cost much at all. A sub is the foundation of the sound. An excellent set of speakers will sound hollow without at least a small sub backing them up.

Get the CDA-117 and an Arc Audio or Zapco amp, or something similar, then ask around for speakers.
Zapco and Arc are only something that you look at when budget is not a concern and the entire rest of the system is set. You can get an excellent sounding system without spending a fortune on amps. The amp is such a tiny part of the final sound of the system.

The Alpine Type-X Pros I know are one of the highest rated cheap SQ component sets but their is plenty of other nice speakers, specifically DLS, Rainbow, Focal... the list goes on.
Bravox are available cheaper than the Type X and have gotten better reviews from people that I respect.

Thanks again helotaxi for your input...you have been helpful. I agree too...I know from past experience that a "budget" sq system can be built with enough looking around. I doubt it would be a show winner but that is not what I am after. I want something that is better then stock and sounds good to me.

I am still looking at some stuff but my budget just went to crap for now...I just had to dump $700 in parts for the front end of my Jeep. Then I have to get new tires in the next month or so, so there is another $600-800. I am still hoping though to be able to start piecing everything together in the next couple months.

I still really like the Kenwood I mentioned earlier. No doubt there are better but that one has the features I want, is a good brand, and the price is right. I am not in a position right now where I can really afford nor do I need the best.

Speakers...still not sure. Trying to decide if I want a component set for the front doors or stay with the factory sized 6x9. Any thoughts? There are tweets in the dash as well. Rear door has 6.5's so I would be sticking with that size.

Sub...again...deciding on two 10's or a single 12. I need to get into town and listen to some stuff.

Amp...so many options...almost overwhelming. I like the idea of a 5 channel do everything amp but I also like the idea of two amps so I have the flexibility to grow and change if I decide to.

I guess bottom-line...I am not any closer to speccing my system then I was before...but thanks for the responses so far...they have at least given me some stuff to think about.

Honestly.. I buy Headunit first
then I decide on budget

Wiring

Subs

Amp

Box
x2 hu amps speakers sub box wireing i always do the wireing last becaues until i decide what im going to run i wont know how much or how little i will need,and speakers before subs just in case i run out of money ill still have something to listen to

When I did my ZJ, I had my HU and mono amp laying around my house. I picked up a sub, a 2 channel for a front stage, and a set of Pioneer Premier TS-D520C components for the fronts. I was overall pretty happy with the setup, but I'm on my 3rd set of fronts already and my second sub. The amps and HU have remained the same since they were put in (sometime in April). I'm currently running what's in my sig for the Jeep. All in all, it actually puts out really decent SQ; I don't plan on changing anything until I f*ck something up like I did with my 520Cs I was running. My only gripe is I get alternator whine when the headlights are on. It's extremely faint though. The only time I notice it is between songs, and even with that, it's difficult to hear.

Thanks ejshultz...glad to hear from someone with a G.Cherokee. What sub/amp did you use and how was it? I have never set up a system in an SUV so I am not 100% sure what to expect. All the installs I did years ago were in standard cab p/u trucks and cars where there was a lot less airspace.

SPLaudio...yeah...I was thinking about that. Not only for the stereo but to help with the drone of 33" tires on the highway. Not sure if I will do that first or not but I think it is something that will be on the list.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.