Best way to start a new system?

WVJeepster
10+ year member

I hope this isn't a stupid question...is there a best way to start designing a new system? What I mean is...is it better to start with speakers and match them to an amp or vise versa, start with the head unit and then match that to speakers or an amp...you get the idea. I am trying to design a system to replace the factory system in my new to me Jeep Grand Cherokee and being out of the car audio game for a long time...I am not sure where to start.

You have to make a few major decisions before you pick the first piece of equipment.

1) What is your budget?

2) What are your system goals?

3) How much space are you willing to give up?

4) How much are you willing to modify the vehicle?

Until you answer those questions, no one here can do anything for you.

x2 on get a headunit first. Dont cheap out on it too, it's the most important part of your system... you know... since it's where all of your signals come from.

Ok...fair enough...

1) What is your budget? I am trying hard to stay at or below $1000

2) What are your system goals? Sound quality. I used to be a basshead but not so much anymore. I love 10" subs and I want good components for the best overall sound.

3) How much space are you willing to give up? Little as possible. I plan to build my own box since I used to do that in a former life. I will be doing a sealed box so I shouldn't have to give up much room in the cargo area.

4) How much are you willing to modify the vehicle? I don't want to get too crazy...I don't think I should need to. My plans are pretty much to replace the factory speakers with the same size equipment so I won't have to do any mods. Of course if I get bitten by the bug like I did 15 years ago then all bets are off.

I hear ya on the head unit. I do plan to get one that is not too cheap. Haven't decided on anything yet but I have been looking around some. I thing I am having trouble with are amps, speakers, and subs. Too much stuff out there to choose from. I am heading in to town on Thursday or this weekend to the local audio shop I used to go to and see what they have these days.

get yourself 2 nice yellow top bats and and nice 200-400 amp alty and re run all your grounds before you think of anything, then find cheap tv sundown amp and critical mass 12's

i like to stick with the old stuff for amps. they used to rate amps at 12.5 volts long ago. now adays you can find some brands that rate them at as far up as 17 volts and you will never get that in your car so the wattage rating is way off. with speakers you get what you pay for but id stick with some good 8 inch subs if you want to save space, stack up 3 or more to get lower ohms on you amp and get your moneys worth, low pass protection is key!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.