Best touchscreen double din head unit for use with iPhone 7?

Participant count
  • Participant list

SkwurlyFab
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
SD
I've had the same Kenwood touch screen for years now and it doesn't play nicely with my new iPhone. The bluetooth feature has been broken on my HU for years so I've been using the aux cable. No headphone port on iPhone 7 makes that a big problem ?

So what's a good touch screen head unit to use with the new iPhones? I'm assuming blue tooth is the best option for playing music now? Or is it better to connect with a lightning cable? My budget is $500, but I'd like to spend less if possible.

My current HU has built in navigation. But these new touch screens I see online have Apple CarPlay. Do I need to spend more for the separate built in GPS feature? Or should I just use the map from my phone through CarPlay to do that now?

That looks like it would do the trick actually. When you're using maps through CarPlay, does it limit what you can do on the head unit at all? Any annoying stuff you've run into with it at all?

I used the Pioneer AppRadio 4 for a while. That is an amazing deck for using with an iphone. I am also a big fan of the Pioneer NEX line. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Though, I am somewhat of a Pioneer fan boy.

That looks like it would do the trick actually. When you're using maps through CarPlay, does it limit what you can do on the head unit at all? Any annoying stuff you've run into with it at all?
I have yet to run into an issue. Ive only used maps briefly so I cant comment too much on that, but I do know switching between sources while using maps hasn't given me any problems so far

Been running a Pioneer NEX 4200 for about a week or 2. Using Android auto. If the apple equivalent is anything comparable, I'd highly recommend it. It's nice to have all your phones features, including sending/receive texts,calls,maps,weather,basically all voice activated services available on your H/U...with simple voice commands. They also have a fairly good amount of adjustability on the sound side of things too. Nothing compared to a TRUE SQ H/U, but much more than what I'd call basic.

Thanks for the suggestion @sprinklerman. I ended up getting the Sony XAV-AX100 off ebay for $450 so my search is over! My needs are pretty basic these days honestly. I used to get all crazy with my systems but now I just like the bass loud and the highs clean enough to hear the lyrics. No time to tinker every weekend anymore unfortunately. Definitely looking forward to this app radio CarPlay deal though! Spotify on the in dash touch screen is going to be awesome.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.