Best sub for sound quality?

Prefab = anything but sq.

For subs to look at: Obsidian, SSA Dcon, Dayton or anything Boston Acoustics. Look for a sub with low inductance, this is what determines a subs transient capabilites or the ability to reproduce notes accurately which is obviously crucial for sq.

You also have a pair lol.I will be calling you shortly as well.

OP- I replied to your PM
Thanks D! I've been watching and reading everything on the Focals. Haven't seen a bad review yet! Cannot wait to try those puppies out.

Dayton HO for sure (I run a pair of the 10s in my tC and love em). in your car, I'd do 2 12 inchers. Single vs dual wont affect your SQ but will affect your loudness. I know you dont want it loud but its always better to have too much than not enough and just turn your subs down to level match the rest of the system.

sq does not mean sealed. Plenty of top s cars use ported enclosures. You use what ever suits your cabin geometry and gain. I have a dayton ref 12'' and it sounds awesome, it is a quiet ****** though. I have been thinking of swapping my car to 2 ho 10's ported

The Dayton RSHO subs were designed for tiny boxes, they also have triple shorting rings to lower inductance. A side effect/trade off of this is a low sensitivity. With a larger suv like yours I'd suggest using the 390. If you want to go with the smaller sizes I would plan on porting them.

If you can get a good deal on the Morel subs jump on it. They are a pay grade above the Daytons.

Prefab = anything but sq.
If you build a 1ft^3 box out of 3/4" MDF and seal it well it will sound no different than a pre-fab 1ft^3 3/4" MDF box if it's sealed well. Materials and a good seal make all the difference.

If anything, I suggest more people to buy pre-fabs rather than slopping together wood and making a bad box. I've seen plenty of poorly constructed 'custom' boxes people made and have wondered why these people are allowed to own/operate tools of any kind. And yes, there's bad pre-fab boxes too but at least pre-fabs use some sort of adhesive and not the whole 'screws are good enough'.

If you build a 1ft^3 box out of 3/4" MDF and seal it well it will sound no different than a pre-fab 1ft^3 3/4" MDF box if it's sealed well. Materials and a good seal make all the difference.
If anything, I suggest more people to buy pre-fabs rather than slopping together wood and making a bad box. I've seen plenty of poorly constructed 'custom' boxes people made and have wondered why these people are allowed to own/operate tools of any kind. And yes, there's bad pre-fab boxes too but at least pre-fabs use some sort of adhesive and not the whole 'screws are good enough'.
I agree, to an extent, that a well built prefabricated is a better option then a poorly constructed custom enclosure.

Obviously a well built 1 cubic foot sealed prefabricated enclosure will sound the same as a custom built 1 sealed cubic foot enclosure. What you gain with a well built custom enclosure that is ability to take advantage of the space in a givin vehicle, allowing you to actually have some trunk space when all said and done.

Thanks for all the responces guys! How much do the Morels usually go for and what are the models to look for? Both new and used. Same with the Focals? I wasn't planning on spending that much but hell, I might just spend some extra and get the best!

Thanks for all the responces guys! How much do the Morels usually go for and what are the models to look for? Both new and used. Same with the Focals? I wasn't planning on spending that much but hell, I might just spend some extra and get the best!
the morels:

ultimo- $700

ultimo sc - $450

focal - 1300

dyn audio 1200- 1100

Those prices are just off the top of my head but general area. The sc has a higher sensitivity then the ultimo does

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.