Best sub for sound quality?

MCQuad
10+ year member

Hey guys, I am looking for advise on the best possible subwoofer(s) for maximum sound quality. I listen to mostly classic rock and outlaw country, but, I do throw in some hip hop every so often. The sub and enclosure will go in the rear of my 2002 Ford Explorer. I am trying to build a sound quality based system in this ride. My front door speakers are going to be DLS R6a's, head unit is probably going to be Eclipse 8443 (is that a good head unit for my goals?), not sure yet on the sub amp and door speaker amp. In adition to general suggestions and advice that I am seeking from you guys, here are some additional questions I have for you guys.

1. What is the advantage of going with duel subs over singles? Based on the info I posted above for my particular situation, are duel 10's going to be better, for me, than a single 12? Or are duel 12's going to be better for me than a single 15?

2. What particular sub(s) would yall recommend for max SQ (not spl!)?

For my application, which do you suggest? I have plenty of space, no size restrictions, listen to mostly rock and country, vehicle-2002 Ford Explorer. I like the price on the Dayton HO 10's. Not sure about the Morel Ultimo's on their price?? Which do yiou think would be best? Any other suggestions? Goal is pure SQ not SPL!

The alpine type x would be another good choice....I really liked mine......I also here the Fi q is great also

---------- Post added at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

But. 60% of the battle is having the proper enclosure

Last edited by a moderator:
You have already gotten several good suggestions for SQ subs.

I am a noob, and the only reason I am responding is the fact that I am in the process of trying to do an SQ build in my pickup. I have spent lots of hours over the past couple of weeks researching several subs that are known for SQ (RE SE, Morel, Hertz, ID, JL, etc), and narrowed my choice down to the Image Dynamics IDQ or JL Audio W3. I am leaning heavily towards the JL due to the current issues with Image Dynamics, as an entity.

Unlike you, though, I have space restrictions, as I chose to do a stealth build. Plus I also am working off a low-end budget.

What is your budget? Let these guys know and they can really offer you even better advice…

You have already gotten several good suggestions for SQ subs.I am a noob, and the only reason I am responding is the fact that I am in the process of trying to do an SQ build in my pickup. I have spent lots of hours over the past couple of weeks researching several subs that are known for SQ (RE SE, Morel, Hertz, ID, JL, etc), and narrowed my choice down to the Image Dynamics IDQ or JL Audio W3. I am leaning heavily towards the JL due to the current issues with Image Dynamics, as an entity.

Unlike you, though, I have space restrictions, as I chose to do a stealth build. Plus I also am working off a low-end budget.

What is your budget? Let these guys know and they can really offer you even better advice…

Thanks for advice Flex68, kramer_212, globalminds_ent! If I go with a Dayton HO or a TC Sounds then I could possibly get duels because they are cheaper. (under 225$ each, right?) Would duels sound better (talking strictly SQ)? What are the differences in SQ between duel 10's, duel 12's & even duel 15's? Or would singles be just fine? I am not looking for a ton of output. I just want the best, tightest thump that I can possibly get. My budget is 350$ but I would like to keep it as low as possible. Maybe 100$ for the enclosure and 200$ for the amp, which I will be buying used. Any futher suggestions?

1. What is the advantage of going with duel subs over singles? Based on the info I posted above for my particular situation, are duel 10's going to be better, for me, than a single 12? Or are duel 12's going to be better for me than a single 15?
It depends on the box, placement in the vehicle, power, your budget and so on. More cone area is the easiest way to get more output.

2. What particular sub(s) would yall recommend for max SQ (not spl!)?
If possible you should be listening to a variety of car audio systems to get an idea of what kind of bass you really like. Chances are good you would find a purist's version of an SQ car audio system to be boring.

Focals are good SQ subs as well. The first version of the Polyglass 13's (V1) you can get pretty reasonable now. I've found em' as cheap as $175-200 a piece on Ebay.

Ok so I think I am going to go with either Duel Dayton RSS265HO-4 (10 inch) or a single Dayton RSS390HO-4 (15 inch) and spend more of my time and effort on the enclosure and amp. Is this a wise decision for someone in search of a really good SQ setup? Keep in mind that head unit is Eclipse 8443 and front door speakers are DLS R6a's. Haven't picked out any amps yet. Now if the Dayton choice seems good then lets talk about enclosures and amps. My budget for the sub woofer amp is $200 and under, I will most likely be buying a used amp so that I can get more for my money. Budget for the enclosure if $100 to $150. I have no placement issues for the sub box, anywhere in the vehicle is fine (2002 Ford Explorer) and it can be as big and ugly as needed! suggestions?

just build a sealed box ,pretty easy ,if you want sq tho i'd go with either a 10 or 12 ,15's tend to get a little boomy.dont think i'd be too concerned about an sq amp for the woofer ,cuz your not going to be able to really tell if it is or not.but please ,do your self a favor and stay away from the audiopipe amps.as they are just garbage.look for any amp that has a efficiency rating of 80% of higher at 4 ohms and you should be ok then.alot of these cheap amps wont have an efficiency rating because it is so low the company scare some of it's consumers away from buying them.

Pro-rabbit or Ram are a couple names that come to mind for an enclosure. I'm sure your 100-150 price range is in the ballpark. Don't try to save a few bucks going with a prefab. It's not worth it!

Focals are good SQ subs as well. The first version of the Polyglass 13's (V1) you can get pretty reasonable now. I've found em' as cheap as $175-200 a piece on Ebay.
You also have a pair lol.

I will be calling you shortly as well.

OP- I replied to your PM

Pro-rabbit or Ram are a couple names that come to mind for an enclosure. I'm sure your 100-150 price range is in the ballpark. Don't try to save a few bucks going with a prefab. It's not worth it!
I agree, do yourself a favor and stay away from the prefab.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.