Best SQL Woofers?

That said guys, I have decided definitively that I want to do, is use a sealed custom fiberglass enclosure that I found, specific for my vehicle, ~1cuf for 1, 12", higher quality, and higher RMS sub to send all 1100 watts too. May we please stay on topic of you guys helping me find which sub will best be suited for me?

So far I have 3: SSA ICON, IDMax, & FI SSD NEO. (Was considering the Q but it's 1750 RMS and far too much mounting depth for what I can have. I need 7.5" Max") Any others?

I called SSA and they also pointed me in the direction of Incriminator - Leathal injection or death row. Thoughts on these?

I think it's understood that I do not care for PURE SPL here with a disregard to SQ, but at the same time, I'm not gonna say I don't care about output. It's just that now, it's important for my bass to SOUND CLEAN. That said, it very well may be the case that my enclosure really was the culprit of providing poor SQ and had the box been bigger, the subs would've sounded quite nice (which I'm still not fully convinced). In that case, putting any of these above subs in 1 cuf would most likely give me the SQ I'm looking for, right?

If you listen over 120db then SQ don’t matter.

Simple as that.

And as said. Enclosure over woofer always.

For SQ the bigger the airspace the better. You will also need less power.

1 cube won’t work. 1.75 to 2 is better.

If you listen over 120db then SQ don’t matter. Simple as that.

And as said. Enclosure over woofer always.

This. In a SQ setup the sub is tuned just enough to where it blends in with the front speakers, blaring 120db isn't SQ.
It basically just sounds like he wants good sub output without it sounding like crap. If that's the case then he need to do what everyone has recommend (good custom ported box with a single 10 or 12).

Nah I have the S.E.X's. Sorry the forum blocked it out last time.
ahhhhh, i wasnt sure if it also blocked the xxx thing, hence the reason i put spaces in between them LOL andways the s e x's are pretty decent, but i can see why youd want to upgrade. image dynamics IDMAX's are pretty awesome, but the IDQ's are very musical and great sounding. They can also produce a great thump for the times you want to rattle yer brain too

That said guys, I have decided definitively that I want to do, is use a sealed custom fiberglass enclosure that I found, specific for my vehicle, ~1cuf for 1, 12", higher quality, and higher RMS sub to send all 1100 watts too. May we please stay on topic of you guys helping me find which sub will best be suited for me?
So far I have 3: SSA ICON, IDMax, & FI SSD NEO. (Was considering the Q but it's 1750 RMS and far too much mounting depth for what I can have. I need 7.5" Max") Any others?

I called SSA and they also pointed me in the direction of Incriminator - Leathal injection or death row. Thoughts on these?

I think it's understood that I do not care for PURE SPL here with a disregard to SQ, but at the same time, I'm not gonna say I don't care about output. It's just that now, it's important for my bass to SOUND CLEAN. That said, it very well may be the case that my enclosure really was the culprit of providing poor SQ and had the box been bigger, the subs would've sounded quite nice (which I'm still not fully convinced). In that case, putting any of these above subs in 1 cuf would most likely give me the SQ I'm looking for, right?
You obviously dont know how to design a system if you plan on putting an ICON in a sealed box. There's a concept of TS parameters, Vehicle acoustics and vehicle peak resonances that you dont understand that completely affects sound quality and can only be offset in a properly designed enclosure. NO sealed is not always the best for sound quality because of the exact reasons i listed, you'll be stuck with a fked up bandwidth or a fked up peak in the music that makes the whole setup sound like trash even if you have the most expensive sound quality woofer out there. A cheap flea market woofer in an ideal enclosure will absolutely destroy the most expensive woofer possible in a sub par enclosure. Those custom sealed fiberglass enclosures are some of the worst performing boxes only made for looks out there so there's that.

Get an SSA F8L 8, .5 after displacement, tuned at maybe 32hrtz, maybe around 1 cuft gross maybe a lil more? With the amp that you have, just don't be ham fisted with the gain control.

If you listen over 120db then SQ don’t matter.

I don't understand. So when a manufacturer is saying the optimal sealed volume is 1 cuf, you say I should go 1.75-2..?

I love how op asks what the problem is, gets an answer he doesn't like and goes back to an even worse configuration and ignores all advice.
Not quite sure what you mean by this. You guys gave me "answers" for a question I didn't ask. I asked what you guys recommended for a sub.

We should dumb stuff down more. Not everybody is smart enough to understand what we think of as basic. It is pretty basic though.
Do you mean "experienced enough"?

It basically just sounds like he wants good sub output without it sounding like crap. If that's the case then he need to do what everyone has recommend (good custom ported box with a single 10 or 12).
Why does it gotta be ported? I don't have space for that, my trunk is tiny. I can barely fit 1cuf in the back. Ported needs at least 1.75 for most subs. Plus I'm still not sure it's good for the music I listen to. What I have said though is I do want a single 10/12 in a sealed.

ahhhhh, i wasnt sure if it also blocked the xxx thing, hence the reason i put spaces in between them LOL andways the s e x's are pretty decent, but i can see why youd want to upgrade. image dynamics IDMAX's are pretty awesome, but the IDQ's are very musical and great sounding. They can also produce a great thump for the times you want to rattle yer brain too
I appreciate you being the only one who's really directly touching on what I questioned about.

You obviously dont know how to design a system if you plan on putting an ICON in a sealed box. There's a concept of TS parameters, Vehicle acoustics and vehicle peak resonances that you dont understand that completely affects sound quality and can only be offset in a properly designed enclosure. NO sealed is not always the best for sound quality because of the exact reasons i listed... Those custom sealed fiberglass enclosures are some of the worst performing boxes only made for looks out there so there's that.
Yeah you're right I probably don't. I'm not an expert. I wouldn't be getting this fiberglass enclosure for looks, I'd be getting it because I can't fit a 12" in the back of my trunk - it's not tall enough, and this enclosure would be able to house a 12". They're seriously that bad..?

That’s recommended to play music.

The 3db roll off starts happening around 50hz

It doesn’t work that way for every sub but it does for most.

Space makes bass. Bigger the box the lower it will play and less power it will need. Ideally you want no box but not every woofer likes that.

I don't understand. So when a manufacturer is saying the optimal sealed volume is 1 cuf, you say I should go 1.75-2..?

Not quite sure what you mean by this. You guys gave me "answers" for a question I didn't ask. I asked what you guys recommended for a sub.

Do you mean "experienced enough"?

Why does it gotta be ported? I don't have space for that, my trunk is tiny. I can barely fit 1cuf in the back. Ported needs at least 1.75 for most subs. Plus I'm still not sure it's good for the music I listen to. What I have said though is I do want a single 10/12 in a sealed.

I appreciate you being the only one who's really directly touching on what I questioned about.

Yeah you're right I probably don't. I'm not an expert. I wouldn't be getting this fiberglass enclosure for looks, I'd be getting it because I can't fit a 12" in the back of my trunk - it's not tall enough, and this enclosure would be able to house a 12". They're seriously that bad..?
A manufacturer's recommended airspace is generally chosen for marketing or warranty related reasons and more often than not, some degree of performance is left on the table. That's where experience comes in to what and how to change the box design to optimize performance. Basically take it with a grain of salt.

Your not listening which is why this discussion isn't going very far. Everyone is telling you enclosure and install issues and all your doing is complaining that no one is giving you the answers that you want to hear.

"the largest determining factor of SQ to my understanding is quite simply the sub itself, followed by the enclosure that it's in"

This quote of yours is the issue. This is 100% wrong and is the main reason why your not only having issues with your current setup but why recommending subs to someone with this view is proving to be difficult.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.