Best Possible Results W/ This Equipment?

^^^and you clearly don't know what "amateur" means.

OP- connect the + of one coil to the - of the other. Connect the - of the first coil to the amp and the + of the other to the amp. This will give you a bridged 8 ohm load. Best you're going to get with that amp and sub.

^^^and you clearly don't know what "amateur" means.
OP- connect the + of one coil to the - of the other. Connect the - of the first coil to the amp and the + of the other to the amp. This will give you a bridged 8 ohm load. Best you're going to get with that amp and sub.
doubtful? why not wire each coil to a channel at 4 ohms?

And 8 will not only sound better, but have more efficiency then 4ohm...Although SQ is more negated when running subs....OP, what amp is it? If its a solid enough amp, just run it at 2ohms bridged.

Because you're going to get ~100RMS/CH at 4 ohms stereo or ~200RMS/CH at 8 ohms bridged. So ~200RMS either way.
x2

And 8 will not only sound better, but have more efficiency then 4ohm...Although SQ is more negated when running subs....OP, what amp is it? If its a solid enough amp, just run it at 2ohms bridged.
This, depending.

It is my belief that pretty much any SOLID 2 channel can run at 2ohm bridged with a good power supply... I had 2 Fosgates that I always ran at 2ohm bridged, and they never cut out and both amps still work fine. I ran both an 800a2 and a Treo TSX752 at 1ohm and both worked, although they ran hot...If it is a solid build and with good power wire and stable voltage, amps can run 2ohm bridged...Advisable? No...Doable? Absolutely

It is my belief that pretty much any SOLID 2 channel can run at 2ohm bridged with a good power supply... I had 2 Fosgates that I always ran at 2ohm bridged, and they never cut out and both amps still work fine. I ran both an 800a2 and a Treo TSX752 at 1ohm and both worked, although they ran hot...If it is a solid build and with good power wire and stable voltage, amps can run 2ohm bridged...Advisable? No...Doable? Absolutely
I would say that you got lucky. The overwhelming majority of amps are not capable of being run that way. Older Fosgates and Treo amps are known for being overbuilt. Jacob of Sundown, who sells some of the most bulletproof amps out there right now, flat out states that his Class A/B amps will not run at 2 ohms bridged. Most amps with protection circuits will actually shut themselves down at that load.

The reason that you want to run the setup at 8 ohms bridged is that it ensures that the signal going to the sub is mono and the differences in signal between the right and left channel running to the different coils isn't causing undo distortion. Running the sub bridged at 8 ohms has the same effect on the amp in regard to efficiency and distortion as running it at 4 ohms in stereo.

I would say that you got lucky
LOL, perhaps...Or the fact that I have rarely owned junk amps might have helped a little. I tried to run a Hifonics Titan at 2ohm bridged and it would cut out after about 10 minutes, and it ended up melting the RCA input heads. lol good times

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.